Views
Helpful
Replies

vlan-hostid

nir.fisher
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

I have a problem.  I installed 2 ace appliances (with redundant ace for each) on different segments in the network for load-balancing purposes.

I connected a physical interface from each ace , tottal of 4 ace appliances , to a management network in order to manage them all from the same place.

I use an alias ip on the interface vlan to always manage the active ace , I also configured a different "shared-vlan-hostid" per appliance as recommended.

My problam begins when I try to manage the two active ace appliances by accessing their alias IP addresses since they have the same mac-address in the arp table , I can only manage one of them , the one that the switch learned first.  In the meantime I use the actual IP instesd of the alias.

I am pretty sure this behavior is not normal since each ace (including the peers) has a different vlan-hostid configured.

I would appriciate your help very much. thanks

2 Replies 2

Sean Merrow
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

The problem is that the virtual MAC address is based on the FT group ID.  So make sure that you are not using the same FT group ID across multiple pairs of redundant ACE.  For example, if you use FT group 1 for the Admin context in the first pair of ACE, then use FT group 2 for the Admin context in the second pair of ACE.

For details on ACE MAC addresses see the document Understanding ACE MAC Address Allocations in the Documents tab of this forum.

Hope this helps,

Sean

hi sean ,

You were right on the money , sometimes the solution is so simple but I have to admit I never would have thought that this would

be the cause of the issue , they dont tell you all the small specifics in the installation guides .

Thank you very much . you have been a great help ! .

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: