cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Pings to host successful, but trace to host fails?

davidhuynh5
Level 1
Level 1

Attached is the switch configuration, show arp | include Vlan8, and output from my ping/trace for hosts on Vlan 8.

On my 6506-E I can ping all the hosts on vlan 8. However, there are some hosts that I can successfully trace to without problems, while other host on the same vlan I can't. I'm having the same problem with hosts on other SVI. What could be causing this issue? Is it normal? Thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3

Well if you can ping them I think that would test layers 1 through 7. Sounds like it could be host based filtering.

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Attached is the switch configuration, show arp | include Vlan8, and output from my ping/trace for hosts on Vlan 8.

On my 6506-E I can ping all the hosts on vlan 8. However, there are some hosts that I can successfully trace to without problems, while other host on the same vlan I can't. I'm having the same problem with hosts on other SVI. What could be causing this issue? Is it normal? Thanks in advance.

Hi,

It can be possible that those host are having inbuild firewall which can be blockng icmp packets by the systems.

HTH

Ganesh.H

Remember trace route works by sending a UDP packet with a small ttl expecting network devices to send icmp unrachables back to the originating host.  If there is no firewal in the path try removing the following command on the affected SVI’s

no ip unreachables

Chris

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card