cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

where should i put the Packet shaper 1700?

alsayed
Level 1
Level 1

Guys

regarding the Packet Shaper where should i Put it,is on the Inside of the asa or on the outside betwen the outside interface of the asa and the inside interface of the internet edge router?

Thanks

8 Replies 8

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

It all depends on where the bottle neck is?

It also depends if you have things like L2L VPN's or VPN Client connectivity?

Hi Andrew

Do you have design with Packetshaper?

Thanks

I do not have a design, I am afraid - but what are you actually trying to shape?

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Guys

regarding the Packet Shaper where should i Put it,is on the Inside of the asa or on the outside betwen the outside interface of the asa and the inside interface of the internet edge router?

Thanks

Hi Ali,

With Packet shaper placement staterg,PS do the traffic in the following ways

* PacketShaper sees all traffic regardless of destination.
* PacketShaper is managing the bottleneck in the network because ports at the remote sites are smaller than at the core.
* Rate control can manage both inbound and outbound TCP traffic from the remote end.

We have placed PS just behind the router and after the firewall for controilling the traffic shaping ans sizing.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Hi Ganesh.H and thanks for uir reply

Tedwheat53
Level 1
Level 1

Any insight to packet shaper recomendations?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Hello.

I would put Packet shaper inside, as its primary aim is to classify (mark if needed) traffic, queue/manage it based on your QoS policy. It's also able to manage inbound traffic (using TCP window size).

So, it needs to see unencrypted traffic. And, as far as it has [almost] no security, it should be protected against attacks.

Thanks,

Any vendor recomendations?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: