Views
Helpful
Replies

VPLS - Implementation

Carl Williams
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team

Can someone advise me on a basic VPLS implementation. i.e. the configurations on the PE's and P nodes and customer CE devices. CE device's will be routers. Its for a single customer. The requirement will be for 8 sites.

But for now i just need an overview of how to implement VPLS over MPLS technology.

I've tried to make this post as simple as possible, my previous posts I think went into to much detail.

Thanks

C Williams

1 Reply 1

judebryant
Level 1
Level 1

C Williams,

there are many documents on Cisco's website covering this subject.

I use vpls within my P core network using a manual configuration.  ie lets say you have 8 routers in a mesh and you want to create a vpls instance for vlan 400.

Using ES20 cards on a 7600 router the configs look like this.

R1

l2 vfi vlan400 manual

vpn id 400

neighbor ip-address(R2)

neighbor ip-address(R8)

each neighbor statement creates a l2 connection from R1.  Do this on all routers.  Thats it

you can also us iBGP to make this an auto connection.

Be aware if you are not using the ES20+ cards and SRE, MAC learning occurs with the xconnect statement.

The new configuration uses 802.1ah or MACinMAC so all the MAC address for a specific location is represented by 1 MAC address.

Regards

Jude Bryant

Network Engineer

Pioneer Telephone

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: