Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is mean by stacking in network?

Folks

Can any tell me "What is stacking" and what is advantage of stacking in real word. How can i apply the same in my office network.

Thnaks,

Tamil..         

2 Replies 2

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Folks

Can any tell me "What is stacking" and what is advantage of stacking in real word. How can i apply the same in my office network.

Thnaks,

Tamil..

Hi Tamil,

A stackable switch is a network switch that is fully functional operating standalone but which can also be set up to operate together with one or more other network switches, with this group of switches showing the characteristics of a single switch but having the port capacity of the sum of the combined switches
3Com Switch 5500 Family stackable switch
The term “stack” refers to the group of switches that have been set up in this way.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_example09186a00806cb982.shtml

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

here is a little wikapedia link for starters.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cisco_StackWise

For smaller environments, stacking can make sense for managing mulitple work group switches that are not on seperate subnets.

It is a proprietary solution, so you cannot mix vendors.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card