cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how to determine host ip that is connected to switch?

ricardo.garin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a Cisco 4000 CatOS switch.  I ran "show cam dynamic" and  it listed the MAC of the servers connected to the switch. Is there a command that will show the ip address or a way that i can use the mac address to determine the respective ip address?

thanks,

ricardo

2 Replies 2

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I have a Cisco 4000 CatOS switch.  I ran "show cam dynamic" and  it listed the MAC of the servers connected to the switch. Is there a command that will show the ip address or a way that i can use the mac address to determine the respective ip address?

thanks,

ricardo

Hi Ricardo,

Show arp is the command which will tell you the assoiciated ip with mac in interface .

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you have multiple vlans on the switch the show arp won't help.  You would have to compare the cam listing on the catos device to the layer 3 routing device arp table to resolve them .  If its a single vlan on the switch and the management address is in the same address space then you can look at the arp table .  A cat 4000 is a layer 2 only device so the arp table can only be used if the management interface (SC0) is in the same address space.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: