Helpful
Replies

Cisco WAAS

Karthik T.A
Level 1
Level 1

Hi friends,

Having couple of doubts with respect to Cisco WAVE technology,

1. What are the differenences between WAAS and WAVE, apart from Virtualization?

2. What are the key functions of Cisco WAVE?

3. Planning to deploy WAVE 274 or 474 for my branch offices and WAE 674 at HO, the services that this must support are AD, File & Print servers. Will these support with WAVE ?

4. Do the WAAS virtual blade support the services like Active Directory, Print Services, DHCP, and DNS services?

5. Is there any prerequistes for Windows server for having the services like Active Directory, Print Services, DHCP, and DNS services?

6. It would be great if you could guide me with some design documents for the above scenario?

Regards,

Karthik Anbumani

MOB:- +91-9789088080

4 Replies 4

Zach Seils
Level 7
Level 7

Karthik,

1. What are the differenences between WAAS and WAVE, apart from  Virtualization?

WAAS is the software that runs on several different types of hardware:

WAE - Appliance-based form factor that supports WAN optimization and application acceleration features.

WAVE - Appliance-based form factor that supports WAN optimization, application acceleration, and virtual blades features.

NME-WAE - Router-integrated network module that supports WAN optimiation and application acceleration features.

2. What are the key functions of Cisco WAVE?

See above.

3. Planning  to deploy WAVE 274 or 474 for my branch offices and WAE 674 at HO, the  services that this must support are AD, File & Print servers. Will  these support with WAVE ?

Yes.

4. Do the WAAS virtual blade support the services  like Active Directory, Print Services, DHCP, and DNS services?

If you run Microsoft Windows Server as the virtual blade, then yes.

5. Is there  any prerequistes for Windows server for having the services like Active  Directory, Print Services, DHCP, and DNS services?

6. It would  be great if you could guide me with some design documents for the above  scenario?

See the following for additional information:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/contnetw/ps5680/ps6870/white_paper_c07-502183.html

If you have any additional questions, please let us know.

Regards,

Zach

Hi Zach,

Thanks for your valuable time and reply.

Having couple of other queries as well.

1. I am planning to have this NME-WAE in my Cisco 3900 series router. Can I configure it as an central manager and make this to manage all the WAVE 274 & WAVE 474, available at the branch offices?

2. What is the virtual blade in the WAVE technology exactly represent?

3. The WAVE 274 and WAVE 474, supports 2 virtual blades each. Thereby how many virtual instances can be actually made with WAVE 274 & 474?

4. Is there any design document that explains the WAVE technology, if so please do guide with its link?

Regards,

Karthik

1. I am planning to have this NME-WAE in my Cisco 3900 series router.  Can I configure it as an central manager and make this to manage all  the WAVE 274 & WAVE 474, available at the branch offices?

The NME-WAE cannot function as a Central Manager (CM).  You will need to run the CM on a dedicated appliance.

2. What is  the virtual blade in the WAVE technology exactly represent?

It's a method for running virtual instances of operating systems and services on the WAAS device itself.  So instead of requiring a separate server at a remote office, for example, you can consolidate all of the local services to a single hardware device running concurrently with WAAS.

3. The WAVE  274 and WAVE 474, supports 2 virtual blades each. Thereby how many  virtual instances can be actually made with WAVE 274 & 474?

Virtual Blades = Virtual Instances, so you can run up to 2 on the 274/474 platforms.

4. Is there  any design document that explains the WAVE technology, if so please do  guide with its link?

I linked previously to the configuration/deployment guide.  What additional information are you interested in?

Regards,

Zach

HackTheLife
Level 1
Level 1

Hi. Found interested question about storage private keys . HERE

"In an audit, there is a finding for a Cisco waas device. The device stores private keys of the application servers which is not recommended"

What is you opinion? Is it Securely?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: