cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

lms 3.2 telnet from Topology Services

kmong
Level 1
Level 1

I cannot access a device thru telnet from the topology. An IE browser pops and tells that telnet is unsuccessful. But when accessing devices thru telnet using the command prompt,or putty, or secure crt, telnet is successful. What could be the resolution for this? How will I be able to set campus manager to use secure crt for telnet.

5 Replies 5

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Campus will use the command:

cmd /k telnet

To launch telnet.  Therefore, your user must have permission to execute cmd.exe, and you need to have telnet.exe installed.  If you want to use PuTTY or some other client, you will need to rename that executable telnet.exe, and place it in C:\WINDOWS or C:\WINDOWS\system32.

I have checked C:\Windows\System32 and cmd.exe and telnet.exe are installed. I can access the devices using the command prompt

I have the same issue in the topology View.

I also have chacked that telnet is available andcan be started by the user.

But all I get is the ie browser windows with telnet://switchip in the adress bar.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thaks

Carl

Ive found out that telnet is not enabled on IE 7 and 8. So you have to edit your registry. You can check the following links that I used as reference:

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/79814-how-enable-telnet-links-ie8.html

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/905579-solved-telnet-ie8.html

In my case, this didn't work so I just downloaded Mozilla 3.0 and used it as the default browser. And then it prompts you to choose what software you would like to use when using telnet.

Thanks for the quick reply.

It did not work for me either...:/

I will follow your advice and also go with firefox for the time being.

Kind Regrads

Carl

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: