Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS upgrade via Ciscoworks fails due to insufficient flash

lni1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

When upgrading our C3750 switches to 122-53.SE2, we encounter the following problem :

Error: There is insufficient space in flash: to install the required
Error: image.  Clean up some old images, and try again.

When doing the same from CLI, we get exactly the same result.

When deploying the ios with the /imageonly option (only bin file without html dir), the upgrade is successfull.

How can I "learn" Ciscoworks only to install the bin file and not the rest?

Many thanks,

LNI

6 Replies 6

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is not possible with 3750.  If the 3750 is configured for stack mode (the default), you can only distribute the .tar image.  If your 3750 is not in a stack, you can change the sysObjectID, then delete and re-add the device to DCR.  Then, if you import a .bin image, you will be able to distribute that to the 3750.

To change the sysObjectID, use the command:

no snmp-server sysobjectid type stack-oid

Then reload the switch.

Hello Joe,

I think you misunderstand the problem, we use the tar file while getting the problem.

When we do it via CLI using /imageonly option, the IOS upgrade is done, but in CW

the /imageonly option can not be selected. We already opened a TAC at Cisco.

No, I understand the problem.  RME doesn't use the /imageonly option.  The only way to get RME to load a .bin image on a 3750 is if the 3750 is in a standalone configuration, and the .bin image is loaded into the SWIM repository.

Hi Joe,

I always assumed that the other stuff in the .tar was exclusivly for the embedded http device manager.

Does this indicate that it also uses other parts than the .bin when it it is in stacked mode? What parts would that be?

In other words it cannot function as a stack when using just the .bin file?

Cheers,

Michel

It's not a question of functionality of the stack, but rather of architecture of how RME works.  When RME is upgrading a stack, it performs a tar extract with overwrite to clean up the master switch.  It will then try and clean up member switches as well.  This doesn't work with the .bin image.  So, when RME sees a "stack" (by way of sysObjectID), it wants to use the stack upgrade method.  The way to tell RME that is can use a .bin image for a 3750 is to configure that 3750 as a standalone device.

Hello everyone,

You need to install the latest package from CW for C3750 (v6.4)

Instead of the archive commando CW now uses the copy bin commando to install the latest 122-53.SE version.

Greets,

Lieven

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: