Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMP on DMS 5.2

panayiotiscy
Level 4
Level 4

Hi all,

Has anyone implemented/enabled the SNMP module on DMS?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

"The only issue i'm facing now, is that while i'm receiving syslong,snmp for the DMPS unreachable, i cant receive the email notification.

Is anything wrong with the email notifications on 5.2?"

Please explain further...

The only Alerts for DMPs are DMP Outages, Restarts, IP Conflicts, and Registrations.   Define what you

mean by unreachable?

The Email, Syslog, & SNMP all appear to be working in my 5.2 setup for the alerts listed above.

Thanks

T.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Tomas de Leon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, I have the module configured & enabled.

Do you have specific question(s) on configuring?

T.

Hi Tomas,

Thanks for asking because i do have some guestions(!) :

1) What NMS software are you using?

2) How much effort is needed(in terms of configuration) after "importing" the 2 .my files from Cisco to your NMS in order for the NMS to be able to receive the traps from DMS?

I use Kiwi Syslog Tools for my testing.

http://www.kiwisyslog.com/

Not much configuration to get this to work.

Just follow the DMM User Guide and the

Kiwi Readme docs.  Very little to config.

T.

But this is only to receive the syslogs?

What about the snmp?

Thanks

I also use it for SNMP.  You can configure it for SNMP.  Download

the free trial and test it out.

Cheers!

T.

HI Tomas,

I have downloaded the Syslog Server from Kiwi but i cant import the .my files from Cisco.

I can only receive the SNMP traps to the Kiwi but they are "translated" to syslog.

Am i doing something wrong here?

The Kiwi Syslog application was suggested to use for monitoring DMS Syslog & SNMP alerts not for

a NMS application for all of your Cisco or other devices.  I am sure the Solarwinds and other

vendors have a full compliment of tools and services.

What I use for my DMS setup is the following:

* Kiwi Syslog for DMS SNMP & Syslog ALERT notifications

* iReasoning for DMS MIB Browsing

I am not a NMS Expert and would advice you to seek additional assistance if

you are looking for a "Complete" NMS Tool for ALL of your Network Entities..

Cheers

T.

Hi Tomas,

Thank you for sharing with me(us) your DMS setup.

Indeed, ireasoning seems to be receiving the DMS traps at once without a lot of configuration in comparison with solarwinds and whatsup!

I'm also using the kiwi and i can receive the syslogs just fine.

The only issue i'm facing now, is that while i'm receiving syslong,snmp for the DMPS unreachable, i cant receive the email notification.

Is anything wrong with the email notifications on 5.2?

Thank you

"The only issue i'm facing now, is that while i'm receiving syslong,snmp for the DMPS unreachable, i cant receive the email notification.

Is anything wrong with the email notifications on 5.2?"

Please explain further...

The only Alerts for DMPs are DMP Outages, Restarts, IP Conflicts, and Registrations.   Define what you

mean by unreachable?

The Email, Syslog, & SNMP all appear to be working in my 5.2 setup for the alerts listed above.

Thanks

T.

Under Outages you can select the DMPs are unreachable and get notified by Email,SNMP,SYSLOG

and under Restarts/Registrations you can select  DMPs have restarted and once again you can get notified by Email,SNMP and SYSLOG.

In order to thest the above, i'm restarting the DMP and i can only receive SNMP and SYSLOG.

But, apparently i had mis-configured the SMTP ip address  and as a result i couldnt receive any email notifications.

Now everything is ok!

Thank you Tomas

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: