cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

unity connection 7.1 email notification of voicemail

-davenport
Level 1
Level 1

I am running Unity Connection v7.1 and am trying to provide the following solution to my users:

1) They get an email notification when they receive a voicemail.

2) The email contains information on the phone number, and name (if available via AD) of who called.

3) They have a method of listening to the voicemail from their email.

4) The email may not contain a .wav file of the voicemail, or have another method for a user to save the voicemail as a .wav file.

5) Ideally, the email would contain a link that either streams the voicemail, or takes the user directly to their Cisco Unity Connection voicemail inbox.

I have successfully been able to get the system to send an email notification with the phone number & name (when available via AD).

I have been able to get the system to include a link in the email, but the link takes the user to the Personal Communication Assistant home page where the user has to log in, then click on the correct link to get to their inbox.  Is there a way to bypass the requirement for the user to log in, and also to send them a link directly to their voicemail inbox?

Alternatively, is there a way to configure the system to send a link that would stream the specific message that a particular email notified them of?

I'm open to 3rd party add-ons to achieve the solution.

The only solution that I can think of is to build a solution in which the email is sent to a middleware application which interacts with the Cisco gear & sends the email to the end user.  This is not ideal.

Thanks for any thoughts you can provide!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

To expand on my comment.  I think there is one major hold-up which is:

"5) Ideally, the email would contain a link that either streams the voicemail, or takes the user directly to their Cisco Unity Connection voicemail inbox....

Is there a way to bypass the requirement for the user to log in, and also to send them a link directly to their voicemail inbox?"

The SSO (single sign-on) is a problem because there may be multiple areas you want this to apply to: For example, are you talking SMTP to only an internal, corporate email address?  Do you want to extend that to an external address?

Technically, there is the IMAP solution (integrated messaging) which provides the option to get voicemail in email but again - this conflicts with your no WAV or attachment requirement.  You could go with secure messaging which still has a WAV attachment but the user must be authenticated in order to do anything with the message.

You may be able to find something to suit your needs, but I doubt it will meet all of your initial requirements.

Hailey

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

So, the best choice here would be the SMTP relay option.  Read the following blog for specifics first and then ask questions if you still have them:

http://www.netcraftsmen.net/component/content/article/70-unified-communications/695-voicemail-only-voicemail-relay-and-integrated-messaging-options-with-unity-connection.html?q=smtp+relay

Hailey

Hailey,

Thanks for the quick response.

I read the blog but the SMTP relay option doesn't meet requirement #4 (the email may not contain a .wav file of the voicemail).  Am I missing something?

I realized that I also have a 6th requirement:

6) The voicemail must be stored on the local Unity Connection message store.  The voicemail may exist in other message stores if necessary.

The SMTP Accept and Relay option would meet this 6th requirement, but still doesn't meet requirement #4.

Any additional suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

I misread your #4 as "may have a .wav" not "may not".  So, let me shoot straight with you - I dont know of any native or third-party solution that is going to meet all of these requirements simultaneously.

Hailey

I have to admit that I am surprised by the lack of this feature (the ability to email a link to the Unity connection voicemail inbox without requiring the user to log in & navigate through a clunky UI).  Many large enterprises disallow the attachment of voicemail as .wav files for legal, regulatory, or security reasons.

Thanks for your help.

Does anyone else in the Cisco Support Community have thoughts on how to provide the functionality that I'm looking for, or does everyone concur that this functionality is not possible?

Thanks!

To expand on my comment.  I think there is one major hold-up which is:

"5) Ideally, the email would contain a link that either streams the voicemail, or takes the user directly to their Cisco Unity Connection voicemail inbox....

Is there a way to bypass the requirement for the user to log in, and also to send them a link directly to their voicemail inbox?"

The SSO (single sign-on) is a problem because there may be multiple areas you want this to apply to: For example, are you talking SMTP to only an internal, corporate email address?  Do you want to extend that to an external address?

Technically, there is the IMAP solution (integrated messaging) which provides the option to get voicemail in email but again - this conflicts with your no WAV or attachment requirement.  You could go with secure messaging which still has a WAV attachment but the user must be authenticated in order to do anything with the message.

You may be able to find something to suit your needs, but I doubt it will meet all of your initial requirements.

Hailey

David,

Thank you very much for that link on the differences between integrated and unified.  I was confused about the process and after reading that I managed to get it all to work.

We chose to go with accept and relay our voicemail messages, it works fine but I was wondering how to make it so that more information is included with the email subject and or add somthing to the emaiml body.

Currently if is an internal call I get the the caller's name on the From field but if is an external call all we get is "Unity Connection Messaging System [unityconnection@ourDomain.com]"

Is there a way to add / include the ANI or any other description?

Is there a way to add to the message body?

thank you

Take a look here:  http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/7x/administration/guide/7xcucsag170.html#wpmkr1090393

Begin at section titled "Message Subject Line Formats".  Should be all you need to know.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Right, I saw those and made sure I had them with the correct values but it seems that either Unity is ignoring them or that I'm not getting the ANI from call manager.

thanks

David,

I have evrything working already.

Do you know if is possible to rename the wav attachment? currently the attachment is called "VoiceMessage.wav"

thanks

I'll double check but I don't believe so.

Hailey

Has anyone found a way to rename the wav file from voicemail.wav to something else or

the ability to make the wav file name dynamic and

include name, ANI, date, etc like the subject line?

I am running into issues with Outlook limitation on 99 file names.  When Outlook opens the 100th file with the same name, it gives an error about permissions.  I found a workaround but this would be less of an issue if I can change the name of the file to something dynamic (ideally the name would include the date).  If anyone runs into that problem, here is the link about the Outlook limitation:

http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/securetemp.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817878

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: