Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP Domain Name Change

jared192021
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I'm in the process of planning out a bunch of VTP changes (enabling VTP passwords, pruning, etc) and I had one concern in particular that I'll outline below.

Presently we have approximately 12 switches, all of which are VTP servers.  What I plan to do is move all of them except for the network core, to VTP clients however I would also like to change the VTP domain name on the server. 

My plan is to move all the edge switches to VTP transparent mode to set the CRN back to 0, and then on the Core (3x3750G's in a stack) configure a new VTP password, but I would also like to change the current VTP Domain Name to a new one.  The question I have is, if I change the VTP domain name on a production VTP server, will it in any way affect the VLANs on that switch?

From everything I've read it doesn't seem like it should, but I wanted to get some real world opinions on it rather than just documentation.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Jared

3 Replies 3

nelson.garcia
Level 1
Level 1

I think you'll be ok, only thing that'll happen is that none of the other switches will receive VTP updates from the core switch because of the name change. At least i think...

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello all,

I'm in the process of planning out a bunch of VTP changes (enabling VTP passwords, pruning, etc) and I had one concern in particular that I'll outline below.

Presently we have approximately 12 switches, all of which are VTP servers.  What I plan to do is move all of them except for the network core, to VTP clients however I would also like to change the VTP domain name on the server. 

My plan is to move all the edge switches to VTP transparent mode to set the CRN back to 0, and then on the Core (3x3750G's in a stack) configure a new VTP password, but I would also like to change the current VTP Domain Name to a new one.  The question I have is, if I change the VTP domain name on a production VTP server, will it in any way affect the VLANs on that switch?

From everything I've read it doesn't seem like it should, but I wanted to get some real world opinions on it rather than just documentation.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Jared

Hi Jared,

Changing the VTP domain make sure that the revision number on the client is lower than the revision number on the VTP server for specified VTP domain.You can reset the revision to number to zero by changing the switch to VTP transparent then changing it back to VTP client mode.

Make a vtp server and if you have made the client switch revision number to zero then configure the new vtp domain name on switches to get the latest update.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

Yes, I also think it'll be ok.. Because when you change the domain name, it'll change the revision no to 0.

Regards,

Dasuntha

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card