Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX 525 config and VPN setup

ngtelecom
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have been asked to work on a customer request to replave his non cisco FW with a pix 525 and also to come up with a VPN solution using this PIX 525.

I am not a FW guy as my main experience is with routing/switching but  I did read some documentations and had some hands on with a PIX 501 and cisco vpn300 client.  I was able to bring up the vpn connection even if all tests did not pass (need to troubleshoot further).

Customer has his main site with an application running on a webserver that need to be accessed only via vpn from: 3rd party + from few remote users.

The solution I want to propose to customer is:

option 1: 

PIX 525 as vpn server + Cisco vpn 3000 client on all remote users pcs.

option 2:

PIX 525 as vpn server + windows vpn client on all remote users pcs

option 3:

PIX 525 as vpn server + PIX 501 at 3rd party + windows vpn client on all remote users pcs

First I want you to confirm that those otions are feasable.  Then what option should I go for knowing that remote users are only about 10.

Customer has no tacacs or radius so should I go for statis userid/pass configured on PIX525?

Any idea, advise, suggestion is welcome.  Thanks in advance

Regards,

ngtelecom

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Option 1

I think is the best solution because the PIX-525 will act as a Firewall and the VPN server.

Then all clients will connect via VPN using the Cisco IPsec VPN client software.

Option 2

The advantage of this option is that you don't need to install the software VPN on the clients (not a problem, just 10 clients)

The problem is that it does not come with split-tunneling and don't provide as good protection as the Cisco software.

Option 3

This is also valid and you can do an EasyVPN connection where the 525 is the server and the 501 the client.

Local authentication on the PIX-525 sounds fine.

As a recommendation, the PIXes are EoS and the replacement are the ASAs.

Hope it helps.

Federico.

View solution in original post

Hi,

You don't have an ASA 5505 or a small router for easy vpn client?

You can use either PIX or VPN3002 HW client, but both are discontinued.

Federico.

Yes, you can have the PIX-525 as the easy VPN server and the 800 router as the easy VPN client.

Federico.

7 Replies 7

Hi,

Option 1

I think is the best solution because the PIX-525 will act as a Firewall and the VPN server.

Then all clients will connect via VPN using the Cisco IPsec VPN client software.

Option 2

The advantage of this option is that you don't need to install the software VPN on the clients (not a problem, just 10 clients)

The problem is that it does not come with split-tunneling and don't provide as good protection as the Cisco software.

Option 3

This is also valid and you can do an EasyVPN connection where the 525 is the server and the 501 the client.

Local authentication on the PIX-525 sounds fine.

As a recommendation, the PIXes are EoS and the replacement are the ASAs.

Hope it helps.

Federico.

First of all, thanks Franco for your advise.

I managed to setup a lab and was able to get vpn working with both pptp and cisco vpn.

I am now trying to understand nat on the PIX.   I have a web server (192.168.0.110) on the inside interface.

I want to permit access from outside world (internet) to that server.  I have only 1 public ip (let say from my lab 192.168.2.2) address which I use on the outside interface.

I did the following:

fixup protocol http 80

access-list outside_in permit tcp any host 192.168.0.110 eq www
access-list inside_in permit tcp host 192.168.0.110 any eq www

ip address outside 192.168.2.2 255.255.255.0
ip address inside 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.0

global (outside) 10 interface
nat (inside) 0 access-list 101
nat (inside) 10 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 0 0
access-group outside_in in interface outside
access-group inside_in in interface inside
route outside 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.2.1 1

Can I have your comments on this config and what is wrong?  any suggestion is welcome.  Thanks again.

Hi again,

I fixed it with following config.

access-list 125 permit tcp any host 192.168.2.2 eq www

static (inside,outside) tcp 192.168.2.2 www 192.168.0.110 www netmask 255.255.255.255 0 0

access-group 125 in interface outside

Next step.. Configure easy vpn... pix501 to pic525 or vpn3002 client hardware to pix525?

I need minimum impact on remote LAN.  So probably vpn3002.. What do you think about this?

Regards

Hi,

You don't have an ASA 5505 or a small router for easy vpn client?

You can use either PIX or VPN3002 HW client, but both are discontinued.

Federico.

Hi,

No I have no ASA. I am limited  to old HW:  a vpn 3002 and pix 501. 

Do you think I can use a C837 with ipsec ios (c837-k9o3y6-mz.122-13.ZH) to establish vpn connection to pix525? to be honest I did not check in that direction, I mean using a router as vpn client..

Regards,

Yes, you can have the PIX-525 as the easy VPN server and the 800 router as the easy VPN client.

Federico.

Thanks again Fredirico.

I did configure the vpn3002 client hardware as per

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_configuration_example09186a00800941ea.shtml

So far so good.  I can brows and telnet from PC behind vpn3002 client HW to webserver and router on LAN behind PIX. 

I have just to uncheck the IPSed over TCP in the IPSec sestion on the vpn client.

I will document all I have done and present it to my boss/customer. 

Will test later with c837.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: