cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MPLS Customer router physical interface

Tod Larson
Level 3
Level 3

My provider wants to sell me MPLS services but I can't seem to get a straight answer regarding what the physical interface on my customer router needs to be.  Some personnel tell me it will be a normal ethernet connection, other say it'll be a DS3 or T1 connection depending on the speed.

Please give me some advice on what to expect regarding an MPLS circuit?  Or point me to some good documentation to maybe I can communicate better with the service provider.

Thank you.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Tod,

if their PE node is colocated an ethernet interface can be used, if it is remote from you a serial interface is probably the right choice.

Or it can even be a fiber based GE interface.

Any type of interface including multilink PPP for example can be used as PE-CE link.

check with them what option is better for your scenario

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

Vaibhava Varma
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Tod

Few points from my side for your query

Access Link should be considered based on whether we are going for MPLS L3 VPN or MPLS L2 VPN Soilution

MPLS L3 VPN from my understanding is independent of Access Media but the Access Media will definitely put different hardware requirements for your Customer Edge Router

The Access Link Type and Bandwidth would vary depending upon the BW requirements for the network. The T1/T3 or a Subrate T3 Access Links would be a choice when we have BW requirements in that range(<45 Megs)

Using FE as an Acces link would require SP to provide Colocation Services or rather go for spanning a Fiber out from their Colo and deploying Optical Mux at Customer Premises and again suitable for BW requirements more than 45 Megs

MPLS L2 VPN

Ethernet is the choice for taking MPLS L2 VPN Services to connect your different branches in a point-to-multipoint fashion using VPLS at SP end.

You can go through the Cisco Doc - "Layer 3 MPLS VPN Enterprise Consumer Guide" which should help you gain more insight for choosing the PE-CE Routing Protocol and other points to consider for an MPLS L3 VPN Service.

Thats from my understanding. Hope you will get more good advises on this.

Regards

Vaibhava Varma

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Tod,

if their PE node is colocated an ethernet interface can be used, if it is remote from you a serial interface is probably the right choice.

Or it can even be a fiber based GE interface.

Any type of interface including multilink PPP for example can be used as PE-CE link.

check with them what option is better for your scenario

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Vaibhava Varma
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Tod

Few points from my side for your query

Access Link should be considered based on whether we are going for MPLS L3 VPN or MPLS L2 VPN Soilution

MPLS L3 VPN from my understanding is independent of Access Media but the Access Media will definitely put different hardware requirements for your Customer Edge Router

The Access Link Type and Bandwidth would vary depending upon the BW requirements for the network. The T1/T3 or a Subrate T3 Access Links would be a choice when we have BW requirements in that range(<45 Megs)

Using FE as an Acces link would require SP to provide Colocation Services or rather go for spanning a Fiber out from their Colo and deploying Optical Mux at Customer Premises and again suitable for BW requirements more than 45 Megs

MPLS L2 VPN

Ethernet is the choice for taking MPLS L2 VPN Services to connect your different branches in a point-to-multipoint fashion using VPLS at SP end.

You can go through the Cisco Doc - "Layer 3 MPLS VPN Enterprise Consumer Guide" which should help you gain more insight for choosing the PE-CE Routing Protocol and other points to consider for an MPLS L3 VPN Service.

Thats from my understanding. Hope you will get more good advises on this.

Regards

Vaibhava Varma

Thank you all.  With your help I was able to talk intelligently to my service provider and now I feel much better about where we are headed.