Views
Helpful
Replies

Question on physical install of 4507R chassis

heinzel0302
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a rather simple question on the physical installation of a 4507R chassis. We need to exchange old non cisco switches to a 4507. Since

cabling within the rack is a little messy it would simplify the installation a lot if i would install the chassis upside down in the rack. That means Power Supplies on the bottom, Line Cards on top.

Do you see any concerns in doing so? 

Thanks for your thoughts...Andy

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I have a rather simple question on the physical installation of a 4507R chassis. We need to exchange old non cisco switches to a 4507. Since

cabling within the rack is a little messy it would simplify the installation a lot if i would install the chassis upside down in the rack. That means Power Supplies on the bottom, Line Cards on top.

Hi,

I dont think any issue in this as air intake grill are in the side portion of the chassis,so if it sits upside down the ventaillation will happen.But what is the problem in cabling even if it is placed in right position.We have deployed in same fashion as cisco recomends and done cabling without any problem.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Hi,

I dont think any issue in this as air intake grill are in the side portion of the chassis,so if it sits upside down the ventaillation will happen.But what is the problem in cabling even if it is placed in right position.We have deployed in same fashion as cisco recomends and done cabling without any problem.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

Actually the issue with the cabling is that the existing cables might to be too short. If the chassis is placed non upside down I need another 8 RU covered by the cables. If I place the chassis upside down I can guaranteed use the existing cabling.

So as you do not see any issues I am going to it in that way (upside-down). Thanks for your input.

Andreas

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card