Helpful
Replies

Debug Question

Gman110888
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I wonder if you can help...?

I've enabled jumbo frames on our stack of two Cisco 3750 switches.

We're having some re-transmit errors on the the servers connecting to these switches.

I'd like to setup some debugging to capture what's going on with the errors so I've setup debug IP packet on the switch stack and I'm pushing tyhe output to a syslog server.

Is this the best debug command to cpture any of these types of errors?

Thanks,

2 Replies 2

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi all,

I wonder if you can help...?

I've enabled jumbo frames on our stack of two Cisco 3750 switches.

We're having some re-transmit errors on the the servers connecting to these switches.

I'd like to setup some debugging to capture what's going on with the errors so I've setup debug IP packet on the switch stack and I'm pushing tyhe output to a syslog server.

Is this the best debug command to cpture any of these types of errors?

Thanks,

Hi,

The debug ip packet command is useful for analyzing the messages traveling between the local and remote hosts. IP packet debugging captures the packets that are process switched including received, generated and forwarded packets. IP packets that are switched in the fast path are not captured. However, since it generates an output for every packet, the output can be extensive and thus cause the router to hang. For this reason, only use debug ip packet under the strictest controls.

Enabling debugging can disrupt operation of the router when internetworks are experiencing high load conditions. Hence, if logging is enabled, the access server may intermittently freeze up as soon as the console port gets overloaded with log messages.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

Hi,

Thanks for the quick responce.

Looks like I chose the correct command then.

Appreciate your advise.

Thank you.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card