cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Tftpdnld Command Issue

Sguillen34
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 2620XM and the IOS got corrupted so I'm trying to install an image using the tftpdnld command, but I'm only getting an error that the file couldn't be found. I'm not able to ping the router from my laptop so I'm wondering to what interface the ip address is going to. The router has a fa0/0 interface so I'm assuming it's this one, but no matter how I configure it I'm unable to ping it.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Many versions of Windows (or some settings within Windows) will not display the extension of well known file types (such as .bin) but the extension is still part of the file name. And you need to include it into what you paste into the command line of the router.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

Can you be more specific about the probs you are facing there? can you check and revert back with the following details :

1. IP address/mask/gateway being assigned to the TFTP server and the Router

2. TFTP home directory and the availability of the IOS file

3. Syntax of the command being entered in the router

4. Path (flash) used with TFTP command

if possible screenshots of the error and the ip address assignment page.

regds

how did you connect the laptop to your router. If directly connected make sure you are using crossover cable.

Sguillen34
Level 1
Level 1

I decided to use xmodem instead, but I did realize that there were a few options I hadn't tried. Thanks alot for the quick response!

"tftpdnld" command is not supported on the 2620.  I know this command is supported on the 2690XM and up.

You can try to "download" the IOS via the console cable using XModem, particularly the switch command  "xmodem -r -s 115200".  This command means that the IOS will be loaded into the DRAM (-r switch) and the upload will be using high speed at 115200 bps (-s switch).

Xmodem Console Download Procedure Using ROMmon
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_tech_note09186a008015bfac.shtml

Hope this helps.

Please don't forget to rate useful posts.  Thanks.

Thanks for the info on the 2620. I did use the xmodem command and downloaded the image to DRAM. Now what do I do next?

Is there a way to transfer it from DRAM to the flash?

I couldn't find a way so I tried to do a tftp to flash, but that's failing.

I'm using Vista with no firewalls or security software on a laptop. I can ping successfully in both directions. My tftp server ip is 192.168.1.2 and the fa0/0 ip is 192.168.1.3. I've tried 3 different TFTP server programs and all I get is:

%Error opening tftp://192.168.1.2/c2600-advipservicesk9-mz.124-1c (No such file or directory)

Thanks again.

%Error opening tftp://192.168.1.2/c2600-advipservicesk9-mz.124-1c (No such file or directory)

That's the wrong filename.  You're missing the ".bin" file extension. 

I ran the xmodem command again without the -r switch and got got it downloaded into the flash so I'm all set, But I will be needing to upgrade the IOS and 2 other routers so I still need to make sure I'm doing it right.

I'm copying and pasting the actual filename. So just to be clear your saying that I have to type.bin after the filename and then it'll work?

Many versions of Windows (or some settings within Windows) will not display the extension of well known file types (such as .bin) but the extension is still part of the file name. And you need to include it into what you paste into the command line of the router.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Changed my settings. I see what you mean. Thanks!

I have been burned by that myself, so it is a lesson that sticks with me.

Glad I could help. Thanks for the rating.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I'm running  WSC3550 for the life of me it doent not have tftpdnld or xmodem all though if I do a dir from the switch: prompt it lists xmodem with 1 file read only mode but does not  recolonize it?

And if I knew as to why either usbflash0: or usbflash1: are non existent

And YES went through the hoops with 42 different types of USB Flash Media.

The Gods you Worship are Steele.
And at the alter of Rock 'N Roll you kneel.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: