VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

All,

I have something like the following:

|           |

R   <->  R

\          /

Sw

I run BGP with my ISP on the router on the right. The router on the left is a new router that I'm installing and it's going to be peering with another router that I have over a MAN. I need to have the fastest convergence possible. I was going to configure iBGP between the 2 routers. Currently, my switch is running eBGP because that's just the way that it was set up in the past. I wanted to change this to be in the same AS as my routers or COMPLETELY change the routing protocol to OSPF. What's recommended? In GNS, iBGP converges slow. This could be different in the real world, but I'm thinking that OSPF would be faster. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
1 Reply 1

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

John

I can not tell from your description whether the new router on the left will be peering with another router over MAN using BGP or using some other protocol.

There probably are some aspects of your environment that we do not understand and which might impact the optimal design. But in general I would favor using BGP to external peers (especially if there are more than 1 of them) and using an interior protocol like OSPF for the interior routing. I believe that this would optimize your convergence times.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card