Cisco 1141N AP upgrading from 12.4 to the latest version 12.x

Answered Question
Jun 19th, 2010

Hi,

I purchased the 1141n AP.  Last year when in May, I called Cisco support for help.  He told me it, the 1141n  would not works alone, it needs the controller.  However, He also stated that the new version of IOS will be working as the access point alone.

So I have it, donwload the latest software c1140-k9w7-tar.124-21a.JY.tar from Cisco.com.

Is this the correct version for 1141N and can it work as stand alone now, or acting as the extended WDS extended from the other AP like Apple Extreme.?

please advice.

Thanks

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by Elliott Shawd about 6 years 5 months ago

Oh, about your second question, if I think it's what you are talking about... I don't think you will be able to use your 1141 as a repeater or bridge to your Apple AirPort as Cisco APs require CCX compatible devices to associate as repeater, bridges, and such. Sorry about that.

Overall Rating: 5 (2 ratings)
Elliott Shawd Sat, 06/19/2010 - 15:31

Did you buy a 1141LAP or 1141AP? If you bought an LAP, you are going to have to transfer that IOS image you downloaded to your 1141 using xmodem, TFTP, or borrow your buddy's controller, associate your lwap to it, and revert it to IOS. I don't recall how to do it using xmodem (it's a pain and takes forever anyway), but here's the documentation of how to do it using a TFTP server:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/conversion/lwapp/upgrade/guide/lwapnote.html#wp161272

If you bought a 1141AP, you're in luck! Just plug that bad boy into your router, grab the ip, navigate to the http server of it using that ip, and configure away using the web gui! From there, you can even upgrade to the latest version of IOS very easily!

Good luck!

Correct Answer
Elliott Shawd Sat, 06/19/2010 - 15:34

Oh, about your second question, if I think it's what you are talking about... I don't think you will be able to use your 1141 as a repeater or bridge to your Apple AirPort as Cisco APs require CCX compatible devices to associate as repeater, bridges, and such. Sorry about that.

pitsecurity Wed, 06/23/2010 - 15:59

Hi Elliot,

I know how to TFTP to Cisco appliance well, using TFTP server and command on Cisco Firewall and Router.  But it seem to me not the same command can be applied to the LAP1411N.

It is the LAP 1411N.

Please advice.

Thanks

Elliott Shawd Wed, 06/23/2010 - 17:57

Boot the LAP into the bootrom by holding the reset button and plugging in power to the lap. From there, the commands can easily be figured out.

pitsecurity Sat, 06/19/2010 - 19:33

Elliot,

Thank you sir,  I will try to upload the image that I have donwloaded.  and I can then plug the LAP 1411N to the ethernet port on the Apple Capsule, just to extened that way to have a better signal than another wireless access point.

with the GUI by http server enable would help thing easier.  and thanks for the confirmation of the new image will let the LAP 1411 acting alone by itself , not depends on the Controller.

pitsecurity Mon, 06/28/2010 - 17:16

Hi,

I have tried to upgrade via tftp and I know it is going.

At this time, I can not even boot to the os image any more.  Message:

The system is unable to boot automatically because there
are no bootable files

How do I bring it back with the latest image version instead of the original.

I still can see the Ethernet function ok. and gathering IP from DHCP.

I did follow Cisco doc that you sent to upgrade using TFTP.and How Do I verify the image is upgraded.

Please advice.

Thanks

Elliott Shawd Tue, 06/29/2010 - 06:08

You'll have to reload the IOS image back onto your AP using TFTP from the bootrom. The commands should be similar. Just type "?" if you get stuck.

If this doesn't work for you, you'll have to xmodem an IOS image back onto it, which is more difficult and not well documented. But, if I remember correctly, the process was similar to doing it for a switch or router.

Actions

This Discussion