Views
Helpful
Replies

why the SIP proxy server dial plan should direct to the VXML server

bilalghayad
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All;

As the script start from the ICM, and from the ICM we call the VXML script that is located at the VXML server, so i was thinking that we have to configure and rule at the CUPS (SIP Proxy server) to route the request to the call manager which should send to the ICM server via the JTAPI link.

But I am discovering that we configure a rule at the SIP Proxy server which will route the request to the VXML server, WHY? The script should be started from the ICM server and not from the VXML server (even at the voice gateway, we are dialing an DN associated with the ICM script).

Any advise?

Is there any special settings or mapping at the VXML server that let the VXML server send the request to the ICM script via the PG? Where?

Regards

Bilal

4 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Bilal,

I'm not sure I understand your question, but it sounds like you need to re-read the SRND.  In a very high level, the SIP proxy is always in the middle... it's the proxy for every request and without it the devices don't know where to send the call/control to.

That being said, here's a high level flow:

1. Call arrives to ingress gw, sends request to SIP proxy which replies with a CVP server address.

2. CVP server SIP service will receive the request and send a request through CVP server ICM service to ICM.

3. ICM script runs which points to some VXML application usually at http://IP:7000/CVP this happens through the CVP SIP service which sends the call to the VXML GW.

4. VXML GW gets request from ICM as to what to do, this happens through the CVP server IVR service.

5. When it's time to send the call to UCM, ICM sends a message to CVP server SIP service which sends a request to SIP proxy and SIP proxy replies with the address of the UCM, call is then taken from the VXML GW to the UCM end point.

david

View solution in original post

geoff
Level 10
Level 10

As the script start from the ICM, and from the ICM we call the VXML script that is located at the VXML server, so i was thinking that we have to configure and rule at the CUPS (SIP Proxy server) to route the request to the call manager which should send to the ICM server via the JTAPI link.

That's muddled thinking. ICM is just a configuration tool here - the CVP Call Server is doing the magic. The script may appear to be happening at ICM, but it is not. The VXML action is happening at the voice gateway (the IOS Voice Browser) and the guy sending the VXML instructions over HTTP to the gwy is your CVP Call Server.

What if you just had a self-service call center? Would you need CUCM for this? No, of course not.

But I am discovering that we configure a rule at the SIP Proxy server which will route the request to the VXML server, WHY?

Why? Because that's how it is done.

The script should be started from the ICM server and not from the VXML server (even at the voice gateway, we are dialing an DN associated with the ICM script).

Just think of ICM as a way to manage the configuration on the Call Server.

Is there any special settings or mapping at the VXML server that let the VXML server send the request to the ICM script via the PG? Where?

I wish you would call it the "Call Server". When I read "VXML Server" I am thinking Audium.

But yes - there is. The PG and the Call Server talk GED125 through port 5000 on your Call Server.

As David said, re-read the SRND and re-read the huge config guide. I know it's a big mutha but you have to get this down. Go over it and over it with your mates, draw the diagrams, watch the traces, try to fill in the picture. It's not easy, but when you finally understand it, you will be golden.

One more thing .... in MANY CVP call center setups, there are NO static routes to the Call Servers in CUPS. Use Send To Originator to relieve your self of this requirement if it suits the design (and in most cases, it will).

Regards,

Geoff

bilalghayad wrote:

The two services (SIP and IVR services) at  the CVP Server, from where I can do the configuration for these services and where I can see the other services also that might be used?

Everything is configured through the Ops Console.  See the CVP configuration guide.

The question is: while playing the menu, and in that menu it mentioned that press 0 for help, so by pressing 0, then it will goes to CVP Server SIP service to be sent for the ICM, and there it will look for the available agent and return the extension to the CVP Server SIP service which will route to the UCM to send the call for the agent extension? Am correct or missing something?

You're somewhat close.  CVP has multiple services ICM, SIP, IVR, etc.  When an agent becomes available ICM returns a label to the CVP ICM service, CVP then passes this request to the CVP SIP service to figure out what this label belongs to.  Proxy tells it that label needs to be send to the UCM SIP trunk.  The call is then removed from the VXML GW and send to UCM which sends it to the phone.

Again, there's so much more going on and it will take a long time to type it all out, the CVP SRND goes in to this in great detail and you NEED to read it.

david

When the ICM need to route the call for the VXML gateway, it sends the request to the CVP server via the CVP ICM service and then the CVP server use the CVP SIP service to communicate with the SIP Proxy and route the call from the Ingress gateway to the VXML gateway, correct?

Wow, sort of close but I would not have said it like that. ICM is not in charge here - CVP is.

1. Call arrives at the ingress voice gateway and is caught by a dial peer which sends a SIP invite to the proxy.

2. Proxy matches the static route table and forwards the INVITE to CVP where it is handled by the B2BUA (CVP SIP service).

3. A "new call" request is sent by the CVP ICM service to ICM. Dialed number - call type - scheduled script.

4. The Send to VRU node causes the label configured on the NVRU for the CVP RC corresponding to the customer set on the dialed number to be returned with the correlation ID appended.

5. CVP asks the proxy where this label (say 8111111111xxxx) should go, and it says - send it to the VXML gateway.

What does it mean that CVP IVR Service is creating the pages? Does it means that it use the ICM parameters to create the http link to be used to download the pages from the VXML server to the VXML gateway?

Almost exactly correct. I would not say "create the http link" since that is known - but it does create the content pages of VXML code.

When a microapp (other than Get Speech configured as GS,Server,V) is being used in ICM, the CVP IVR service is the VXML server for the voice gateway. It generates the VXML page, and deals with the results.

And after creating the http link to be used to download the pages, this link will be returned to the VXML gateway to use it to do the request from the VXML server?

That's what the bootstrap code on the gateway - tcl and vxml - does. It knows where to go from the return of the VRU transfer label.

Regards,

Geoff

6 Replies 6

Bilal,

I'm not sure I understand your question, but it sounds like you need to re-read the SRND.  In a very high level, the SIP proxy is always in the middle... it's the proxy for every request and without it the devices don't know where to send the call/control to.

That being said, here's a high level flow:

1. Call arrives to ingress gw, sends request to SIP proxy which replies with a CVP server address.

2. CVP server SIP service will receive the request and send a request through CVP server ICM service to ICM.

3. ICM script runs which points to some VXML application usually at http://IP:7000/CVP this happens through the CVP SIP service which sends the call to the VXML GW.

4. VXML GW gets request from ICM as to what to do, this happens through the CVP server IVR service.

5. When it's time to send the call to UCM, ICM sends a message to CVP server SIP service which sends a request to SIP proxy and SIP proxy replies with the address of the UCM, call is then taken from the VXML GW to the UCM end point.

david

Thanks a lot david for your kindly answer and declaration.

I have two questions that will help me to have the complete image (hope so):

The two services (SIP and IVR services) at  the CVP Server, from where I can do the configuration for these services and where I can see the other services also that might be used?

Another issue which is related to point (5) that u mentioned below:

(5. When it's time to send the call to UCM, ICM sends a message to CVP server SIP service which sends a request to SIP proxy and SIP proxy replies with the address of the UCM, call is then taken from the VXML GW to the UCM end point).

The question is: while playing the menu, and in that menu it mentioned that press 0 for help, so by pressing 0, then it will goes to CVP Server SIP service to be sent for the ICM, and there it will look for the available agent and return the extension to the CVP Server SIP service which will route to the UCM to send the call for the agent extension? Am correct or missing something?

Again, special thanks for your kindly answer.

Regards

Bilal

bilalghayad wrote:

Everything is configured through the Ops Console.  See the CVP configuration guide.

You're somewhat close.  CVP has multiple services ICM, SIP, IVR, etc.  When an agent becomes available ICM returns a label to the CVP ICM service, CVP then passes this request to the CVP SIP service to figure out what this label belongs to.  Proxy tells it that label needs to be send to the UCM SIP trunk.  The call is then removed from the VXML GW and send to UCM which sends it to the phone.

Again, there's so much more going on and it will take a long time to type it all out, the CVP SRND goes in to this in great detail and you NEED to read it.

david

geoff
Level 10
Level 10

That's muddled thinking. ICM is just a configuration tool here - the CVP Call Server is doing the magic. The script may appear to be happening at ICM, but it is not. The VXML action is happening at the voice gateway (the IOS Voice Browser) and the guy sending the VXML instructions over HTTP to the gwy is your CVP Call Server.

What if you just had a self-service call center? Would you need CUCM for this? No, of course not.

But I am discovering that we configure a rule at the SIP Proxy server which will route the request to the VXML server, WHY?

Why? Because that's how it is done.

The script should be started from the ICM server and not from the VXML server (even at the voice gateway, we are dialing an DN associated with the ICM script).

Just think of ICM as a way to manage the configuration on the Call Server.

I wish you would call it the "Call Server". When I read "VXML Server" I am thinking Audium.

But yes - there is. The PG and the Call Server talk GED125 through port 5000 on your Call Server.

As David said, re-read the SRND and re-read the huge config guide. I know it's a big mutha but you have to get this down. Go over it and over it with your mates, draw the diagrams, watch the traces, try to fill in the picture. It's not easy, but when you finally understand it, you will be golden.

One more thing .... in MANY CVP call center setups, there are NO static routes to the Call Servers in CUPS. Use Send To Originator to relieve your self of this requirement if it suits the design (and in most cases, it will).

Regards,

Geoff

Thanks for all the help and inputs.

When the ICM need to route the call for the VXML gateway, it sends the request to the CVP server via the CVP ICM service and then the CVP server use the CVP SIP service to communicate with the SIP Proxy and route the call from the Ingress gateway to the VXML gateway, correct?

My question about the CVP IVR Service:

What does it mean that CVP IVR Service is creating the pages? Does it means that it use the ICM parameters to create the http link to be used to download the pages from the VXML server to the VXML gateway?

And after creating the http link to be used to download the pages, this link will be returned to the VXML gateway to use it to do the request from the VXML server?

Appreciate the kindly help.

Regards

Bilal

Wow, sort of close but I would not have said it like that. ICM is not in charge here - CVP is.

1. Call arrives at the ingress voice gateway and is caught by a dial peer which sends a SIP invite to the proxy.

2. Proxy matches the static route table and forwards the INVITE to CVP where it is handled by the B2BUA (CVP SIP service).

3. A "new call" request is sent by the CVP ICM service to ICM. Dialed number - call type - scheduled script.

4. The Send to VRU node causes the label configured on the NVRU for the CVP RC corresponding to the customer set on the dialed number to be returned with the correlation ID appended.

5. CVP asks the proxy where this label (say 8111111111xxxx) should go, and it says - send it to the VXML gateway.

Almost exactly correct. I would not say "create the http link" since that is known - but it does create the content pages of VXML code.

When a microapp (other than Get Speech configured as GS,Server,V) is being used in ICM, the CVP IVR service is the VXML server for the voice gateway. It generates the VXML page, and deals with the results.

That's what the bootstrap code on the gateway - tcl and vxml - does. It knows where to go from the return of the VRU transfer label.

Regards,

Geoff

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: