Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA5XXG and odd ring tone

Roland_Pope
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have both a SP504g and a SPA502G on 7.4.4 Firmware which generate an odd ringing sound when making a call to a local extension on my asterisk server. However, when calling an external number through the same PBX, the ring sounds normal.

The ring tone I hear on the calling phone sounds like the dialtone being played with inturruption of the ring tone or put another way, there is a background drone of dial tone while the ring tone plays over the top.

If I SIP trace the extension call and compare it to the external call, I see the Internal call sends back a 'SIP/2.0 180 Ringing ' message while the external call uses a 'SIP/2.0 183 Session Progress' response. Is this a bug in the firmware?

Thanks

Roland

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

What's the value you have set in the "Sticky 183" parameter?

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

icastrov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi

Basically the difference is that the device isn't playing the local ring back tone when receiving the "183 Session Progress" message but the one coming from the network (early media), hence the differences compared when you received the 180 Ringing when calling an internal extension since this message will trigger the local ring back tone configured in the phone's Regional Tab.

Thanks!

-nacho

OK, thanks for the explanation.

So I can understand the reason for the tone differences due to locally generated ring back tone vs early media tone, but I have a a number of different SPA9xx phones which have exactly the same ring back cadence settings '400@-19,450@-19;*(.4/.2/1+2,.4/.2/1+2,2/0/0)', and they don't behave in this way. I get the correct ring back tone without the background dial tone drone. Any ideas what may be happening here? Does anyone have this same issue?

Thanks

Roland

What's the value you have set in the "Sticky 183" parameter?

Sticky 183 is set to default, which is No, but setting it to Yes does not make any change to this issue.

Is anyone out there able to test this out and see if they have this same problem too?

I have a customer chasing me for a solution, and at this point, I believe is it a problem on the 502G phones themselves as none of the other 40 odd SPA922 phones on the same system exibit this issue.

Thanks

Roland

Just bumping this thread to add that this is still an issue under the latest 7.4.6 firmware too.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: