Views
Helpful
Replies

Site to Site Data Replication

dedra_live
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We are currently working to design a DR site with site to site data replication via Oracle products.

CWDM and DWDM seems interesting but I would like to know how does the commucation over these solutions happen. Is it over IP network with IP source/target addressess or something else. What is the protocol used.

Secondly, we are looking for 40Mbps bandwidth over fibre between Active and DR site. Is CWDM/DWDM the right option. Or there could be other options like through plain routing via edge routers between the data center.

Thanks.

2 Replies 2

bfeeny
Level 1
Level 1

FCP is the protocol that you would run over CWDM/DWDM.  For 40Mbps, either is fine.  What is your distance? Is it point to point or a ring?

You could also do FCIP, which is over a regular IP network, if you have Metro-E.  I prefer to use optical technologies like CWDM and DWDM however, especially with synchronous replication.

Post the distance between the sites and if its PtP or ring topology.

Recently i setup replication between 2 datacenters that were about 35 miles apart.  We had a DWDM/PtP between them running at 10Gbits total bandwidth.  I had a 2Gbit slice of that.  the latency of that DWDM and the speed of my connection allowed me to run a simple ISL between the 2 sites.  Nothing special required.  just built a channel and trunked it.  Worked great.  Just thought i would share a past experience in case it is in line with what you are trying to do.