Per-user bandwidth throttling with NAC Guest Server

Unanswered Question
Jun 21st, 2010

We are currently running wireless guest access using local accounts on an anchor WLAN Controller and have the ability to assign custom defined QoS Roles to each user we create, which enables us to throttle bandwidth on a per-user basis.

For ease of user provisioning, we are moving toward the NAC Guest Server solution, so essentially we will be forwarding authentication requests to the RADIUS server on the NGS. However I can't seem to find this same bandwidth throttling ability included with the NGS.

I am able to pass custom RADIUS attributes back to the WLC, and one of those is the QoS-Level attribute (ie. Platinum/Gold/Silver/Bronze). However I am not able to pass back the QoS-Role attribute. So essentially by upgrading to the NAC Guest Server I have gained many features however lost a very important feature - a feature that helped get this project over the line in the first place. Hopefully I'm wrong and someone can point me in the right direction.

The post indicates that there is a solution to my problem if ACS was performing the authentication (the Airespace VSAs) but can that the same type of solution be implemented on the NGS RADUIS server??

I am using WiSMs running 6.x code and will be using NAC Guest Server running 2.x code

Many thanks

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Rob Simkins Fri, 06/10/2011 - 06:15

Hi Peter,

Did you get a fix for this? 

The only way I can see is to apply the bw restrictions to the WLC bronze QoS profile, which is not ideal if you have more than one service using the profile.  In a live environment you will also need to down the radios and disable the WLANs using the profile to apply the changes, which is a pain.

This Discussion

Related Content

Trending Topics - Security & Network