Views
Helpful
Replies

Redistributing BGP into EIGRP

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

All,

I have a scenario that I've been playing around with that compares the functionality between using iBGP vs. EIGRP in a failover setup. So far, iBGP proves to be more "customizable" in the fact that I can do conditional advertisements. The problem that I run into is this:

I have 2 routers and a L3 switch that currently runs BGP. One router (Router A) has a DS3 connection to the provider and a LAN connection into my switch. The other router (Router B) has only a LAN connection to my switch and a LAN connection to a MAN. With EIGRP, when I shut the ethernet interface on Router A, everything converges very quickly (much more quickly than with BGP). But, when I shut the serial side on Router A, the LAN side is still up and eigrp will eventually converge, but it takes a MUCH longer time. Is there something, route maps/distribution lists/eigrp options, that will allow me to do something like a conditional advertisement with eigrp? What I'm currently doing to make this faster in bgp is a conditional advertisement that says if the serial side subnet is missing, then deny advertising any routes. That forces all traffic through my backup router (Router B).

Thanks!

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
2 Replies 2

Laurent Aubert
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi John,

How do you learn your WAN remote subnets on router A (from the DS3 link)  ? EIGRP should still be faster than BGP.

A diagram and the config could help.

Thanks

Laurent.

Tharak Abraham
Level 3
Level 3

John,

You should be knowing that BGP detects direct failures slower than EIGRP.

You need to manipulate the bgp timers for that, if i correctly understood your scenario.

Or

You may even consider IP SLA usage.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card