Views
Helpful
Replies

is this config possible?

johnwhites
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco 3560G switch.

Currently we have a 10.1.2.x subnet that is present on vlan 10.

I want to add a 10.1.3.x subnet and dhcp for it and place it on vlan 3 (if possible)

I'm not sure how to go about this, I've created the vlan, but I can't get it to route correctly because I can't tell the switch look at itself as the route...

I've tried adding a secondary interface on vlan 10 with a 10.1.3.1 address but then there's no way for the dhcp server to know the client requesting needs a 10.1.3.x address is there?

Do I need another switch or router or something to get this to work correctly?

4 Replies 4

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you just want to add another subnet  just make sure ip routing is turned on for the 3560 .  then the following

conf t

vlan 3

exit

int vlan 3

ip address 

Port config

int gx/x

switchport

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 3

switchport host

yes, actually i did that.

I added vlan 3,
assigned it an address

made that address the default gateway in dhcp

and assigned an ip-helper address to vlan3 that points to my dhcp server on vlan 10

everything works as far as getting an address and I can browse local things, but it seems I have some kind of DNS issue...like I can't get to google.com..

I can do an NSlookup and the server returns the addresses but I can't browse to it for some reason..still looking into it.

Yeah that doesn't sound like a switch issue .

Yeah, it was a firewall issue, so it's not my problem anymore! haha...thought I was losing my mind there for a while.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card