cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

link monitor and action to ip routing

xiaoliangyue
Level 1
Level 1

Scenario: 2 routers at different locations, there's ip connectivity between them (via MPLS). each router has an Internet connection. 1 link / router routes all Internet traffics, the other is backup. Question: how to route Internet traffics automatically to the backup link / router when the primary is down?

I know IP SLA has monitor ability, but can't figure out how it affects ip routing.

Thanks!

Jon

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Scenario: 2 routers at different locations, there's ip connectivity between them (via MPLS). each router has an Internet connection. 1 link / router routes all Internet traffics, the other is backup. Question: how to route Internet traffics automatically to the backup link / router when the primary is down?

I know IP SLA has monitor ability, but can't figure out how it affects ip routing.

Thanks!

Jon

Hi Jon,

With IP SLA monitor and track command configuration creates the track object  and monitors the SLA which is configured in router to mointor a link.

When the icmp request configured with sla  fails the primary route is removed and the secondary route with the higher metric becomes the default. The route will be reinstated when the connectivity is restored.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Thanks!

Jon

Hi Jon,

With IP SLA monitor and track command configuration creates the track object  and monitors the SLA which is configured in router to mointor a link.

When the icmp request configured with sla  fails the primary route is removed and the secondary route with the higher metric becomes the default. The route will be reinstated when the connectivity is restored.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

i figured out same thing at the same time.

thanks Ganesh.H!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card