Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX 515E: 3DES Upgrade Issue

easyadstom
Level 1
Level 1

Hi folks!

Got a PIX 515E firewall with an Unrestricted license. I want to upgrade it to 3DES encryption. I register for the upgrade on the Cisco web site, it recognizes the serial number, and I'm sent an activation key. However, when I go to enter that activation key, it tells me that it is going to DOWNGRADE the license to a Restricted license.

How do I get upgraded to 3DES without losing my Unrestricted license?

(BTW, this unit is not under warranty or support contract, so I cannot call Cisco for help. But since this is a freely available upgrade, I wouldn't think I should need to.)

Thanks!

- Tom

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please email licensing@cisco.com with your current "show version" output, and advise the licensing team that you would like to upgrade to the 3DES license and keep the Unrestricted license. They will cut you the right activation key.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please email licensing@cisco.com with your current "show version" output, and advise the licensing team that you would like to upgrade to the 3DES license and keep the Unrestricted license. They will cut you the right activation key.

Hope that helps.

Thank you very much for your help!

I e-mailed them as you suggested and eventually got a follow-up phone call from one of their support engineers. For some reason, they had the wrong type of license connected with our firewall's serial number in their database. They had their licensing team generate the correct activation key for Unrestricted with 3DES and all is well.

Thanks again!

- Tom

Excellent, good to hear.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card