Views
Helpful
Replies

switchport no negoiate command

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all

Can anyone confirm if that if I plug a trunk port from one switch into an access port on another switch, will this form a trunk automatically? where should I issue the command, on trhe trunk port to stop it sending DTP frames ?

cheers

Carl

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

francisco_1
Level 7
Level 7

In respoinding to your first comment,

trunking will form if the switch with the trunk is negotiating through DTP (desirable) then the other switch will respond to DTP negotiation request and form trunk.

DTP negotiation can be disabled two ways, with the switchport access mode command or with the switchport nonegetiate command. If trunking is needed, but DTP is diable, it must be statically configured with the switchport mode trunk command. This design is most commonly used when a switch is trunking to a device that does not support DTP such as IOS routers routed ethernet interface )Not an etherswitch interface), or a servers NIC card.

Francisco

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi all

Can anyone confirm if that if I plug a trunk port from one switch into an access port on another switch, will this form a trunk automatically? where should I issue the command, on trhe trunk port to stop it sending DTP frames ?

cheers

Carl

Carl,

The switchport no negotiate command is used to stop the port from sending DTP messages (Dynamic Trunk Port).If you want the port to stop sending DTP frames, use switchport nonegotiate command.

If you enter access mode, the interface goes into permanent nontrunking mode and If you enter trunk mode, the interface goes into permanent trunking mode

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

Hi Carl

"Switchport nonegoiate"

Puts the LAN port into permanent trunking mode but prevents the port from generating DTP frames. You must configure the neighboring port manually as a trunk port to establish a trunk link

& If you configured the port as an access mode then it will not from Trunk between both switches.

Regards

Chetan Kumar

Hi

If I manually set the port to trunk, will it still send DTP frames if I dont use the no-negoiate command ?

Yes, without switchport nonegotiate command layer 2 interface will still send DTP.

"Use the switchport nonegotiate interface configuration command to specify that Dynamic Trunking Protocol (DTP) negotiation packets are not sent on the Layer 2 interface."

For send DTP use command no switchport nonegotiate.

Regards.

francisco_1
Level 7
Level 7

In respoinding to your first comment,

trunking will form if the switch with the trunk is negotiating through DTP (desirable) then the other switch will respond to DTP negotiation request and form trunk.

DTP negotiation can be disabled two ways, with the switchport access mode command or with the switchport nonegetiate command. If trunking is needed, but DTP is diable, it must be statically configured with the switchport mode trunk command. This design is most commonly used when a switch is trunking to a device that does not support DTP such as IOS routers routed ethernet interface )Not an etherswitch interface), or a servers NIC card.

Francisco

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card