Views
Helpful
Replies

100mb link between two offices

cisco
Level 1
Level 1

hi,
   one of my client wants two of his office connected via a 100mb link from Service Provider. These offices are accross the road. his company policy doesnt allow him to terminate the link on any switch , he needs a dedicated router for this. my qestion is what router i can suggest on  which a 100mb link can be terminated without any performance issue ?

regards
Neo

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Neo,

if the offices are close

>> These offices are accross the road.

you should consider to have two fiber pairs installed

However, using a router without performance penalties means going up to C3845 or more

Consider that SW based routers performances are dependent on features : the more features are enabled (ACLs, QoS and so on) the less performance you get

see attached file

it gives you raw performance undirectional (you need to divide by two)

if you have multilayer switches you should consider deploying the fiber across the road, by the way you cannot intercept a fiber ( no radio waves) so security should be fine.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi,

i was going through the attached document, i failed to understand, for eg row in which ISR3845 mentioned for Process switching 17.92Mbps and for CEF switching it is 256 Mbps .  what does it mean ? its the speed of _____________________  . Please fill in

regards

Neo

It means that if you enable CEF, packets are pushed faster.  It's true that the 3845 can push up to 256 Mbps of UN-ENCRYPTED traffic (cut 50% if you want to encrypt).

However, this is a very "expensive" option.  The most effective and efficient, if both sites are just across the road from one another, is to run a multi-core/multi-pair fibre optic link.  Using fibre optic, not only do you get security but the added benefit of running CWDM/DWDM turning one fibre pair to plenty.  Another benefit is speed:  10/100/1Gb/10Gb Mbps

Propose this to your boss.  It might give you either a raise or a promotion. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco