cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Core 6509 Flash Memory removal and install

johnterrell2
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 sup mods running on my core with 32 meg flash memory cards installed on each.  I need to upgrade the IOS which will require me to upgrade my flash cards.  Can I remove the flash memory cards from the sup mods while the core is still running, since everything currently is running in memory?  My idea is to remove the cards, insert the new, format and tftp the new IOS to the cards all without interrupting service. Is this possible or will the core require me to reboot durring this process.

Thanks,

John

3 Replies 3

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I am assuming you mean the flash memory in the PCMCIA slot. If yes, that should be fine and the box will not ask you to reboot after an upload. You can verify the IOS before rebooting with the verify command in IOS.

HTH,

jerry

I can't use the *verify* command with the pcmcia memory.  It says "Filesystem does not support verify operations"  I assume it is because I need to re-format the card?  The card has been used before and I can list all of its current contents.  The drive name is not in the list of the *verify* command.

Thanks for you help,

John

Does the file size from the dir command match the value off Cisco.com? If it matches, most likely you will be fine.

Regards,

jerry

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco