cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Maximum Number of HSRP Standby Routers

jfraasch
Level 3
Level 3

What would a maximum number of HSRP Standby Routers be?

I have an implementation where it makes sense to have six routers share a VIP for an HSRP configuration.  Are there any problems with having so many standbys in an HSRP group?

James

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

jfraasch wrote:

I have an implementation where it makes sense to have six routers share a VIP for an HSRP configuration.  Are there any problems with having so many standbys in an HSRP group?

James

James

No actual upper limit as such although 4 is the most i have used. Note that you will have one active and one standby and then the others will be in listen state only. If the standby fails then one of these will be elected standby.

So there is no reason i know of as to why you couldn't use 6 if you wanted to.

Jon

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

James

James,

As such no limitation on number for standby routers but is there specific requirement to have 5 standby router with 1 active in group.

Check out the below link for limitaion of groups

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_qanda_item09186a008011c6bb.shtml

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card