cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Viewmail 8.0.3 cannot play through PC speakers

michael mack
Level 1
Level 1

Viewmail 8.0.3 is installed on windows 7 client machines running Outlook 2007. Install runs fine, controls are visible in outlook.

Users are able to use viewmail to play the messages through their phone, but cannot use their PC speakers.  Checked the outlook->help->disabled menu to verify that VMO had not been disabled in Outlook.

Any ideas?

9 Replies 9

Scott Hills
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I haven't seen any known issues with Viewmail 8.0.3 with Windows 7 playing through speakers.

Here are some questions that you might consider in searching for a solution to your issue:

1. If you uninstall Viewmail are you able to play the wave file through the PC speakers?

2. What codec is the message stored in? (g.711 or g.729 ect)

3. Has this worked in the past for you using some other version of Viewmail? For instance on a Windows XP box.

4. Are there PC's in your environment that are able to play message through VMO? if so what are the differences?

5. If you disable Virus Scanning and/or security software on PC does this make a difference?

6. Any error messages reported in the System or Application log of the PC during time of attempted play through speakers?

Thanks,

Scott

It appears to be an issue primarily with x64 windows 7. We found it didn't work on any Win 7 version, but a reboot of the x32-bit versions solved the issue.

On the x64-bit version it simply will not function.

For answers to your questions:

1. The wav files can be played through the speakers without viewmail

2. Codec is G.711

3. I don't understand this question. Yes, I've had viewmail work on other PCs in the past. Yes, this version seems to work just fine in the current environment on XP machines.

4. Non win 7 machines work fine. Win 7 x32 machines seem to work after a reboot. x64 win 7 machines do not work.

5. We disabled it during the install, but on or off after the install appears to have no effect.

6. No errors that I'm aware of. It just doesn't play.

So from what you say just appears to be an issue on Windows 7 64 bit stations. According to the release notes this is supported. So based on lack of errors I might suggest you to open a TAC case on this. They can load some tracing software on the workstation to get more info.

If you have tried uninstalling and reinstalling viewmail and have also made sure noYamaha software is loaded per release note:

Yamaha Synthesizer Software Is Not Supported

Yamaha sound synthesizer software is not supported on Cisco Unity  subscriber workstations with ViewMail.

Then the next step is going to be to open TAC case to have further investigation done.

Sorry.

If I come up with anything else I'll let you know.

Thanks for trying though, much appreciated!

Were you able to find a solution?  I have the same issue, however a reboot of our 32bit machines is not resolving itself.  Anything would be appreciated.

I have not been able to come up with any further steps that I can easily provide for further troubleshooting.

So I suggest the next step will be to open a Cisco TAC case and have the issue looked into further.

Thanks,

Scott

Noone has a fix for this yet?  I've been searching for answers all day, and it always ends here.  Any word from TAC?

I have the same issue.  When clicking on the playback button on the Outlook Media Master Toolbar, it does nothing (dead link).

My environment:

- Win XP Pro SP3

- Cisco Unity 8.0

- MS Office 2k3 (11) SP3

- Some generic Media Control Device

- IDT HD Audio Codec 5.10.0.6124

I have checked the following

- Compatability (and yes, I am)

- I logged into Unity and deleted all of my messages because my mbx was full.

- I removed ViewMail Phone properties

- Changed Playback/Recording properties to the soundcard

- I checked and unchecked 'Download audio before playing'

- I erased/entered correct info on the 'Secure Messaging' tab

- CSA doesn't have any logged Security Events

- Nothing in Semantic logs

- Nothing in Blue Coat Proxy Client (it's disabled anyways)

- I restarted Outlook a million times

- And yes, this happens to other machines.

- Even on a machine that doesn't have any CSA or Bluecoat installed

Will probably have to reach out to TAC if noone else has... and if you have... no sharing?????

Hello,

I happened to see this on another post.

You might look into this bug:

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCti04412

Thanks,

Scott

Thank You very very much.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: