Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to send the # character to MGCP Voice Gateway

We have a cutomer with CCM 7.1 and a voice gateway a Cisco 2911 configured as a mgcp. The customer wants to be able to send the # character to the voice gateway. In general, they want to change the termination character for the CCM from # to something else, most probably the character *. Is this possible to be done, and if it, how can we change this default setting?

6 Replies 6

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That's not possible. You cannot change the digit CUCM recognizes as end of dialing.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thanks for the answer.

So, the only possibility to succeed this, is to disable the stripping of the # character from the Service Parameters of the Call Manager?

However you can change the Termination Key for SIP, may be u can't do it for H323 as java said. Referring this doc:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/6_1_1/ccmcfg/b03sdial.html#wp1048299

I found this clause there:

"Pound sign (#) acts as the terminating key, and termination can be applied only after matching hits >#. So >* means that the terminating character specifies the asterisk (*); that is, the terminating key must follow the greater-than sign (>)."

Also from the CUCM Service Parameter you can change the value of 'Strip # from sending digits....' from 'True' to 'False', this will not strip # from sending to GW regardless of protocols. I'm not sure if this is the exact wording, but please search with # on SP you will find it.

HTH.

Please rate helpful posts!

Hi Java

It actually is possible :-)

I wouldn't have thought so either, but one of my customers has a bizarre high-level design decision that all their internal extensions will be #xxxyyyy, with xxx = office, yyyy= extension, and # as itself.

Apparently there's some switch in CallManager's brain that stops using # as a terminator if you start using it as a prefix. Another engineer did the initial config, and I just worked with it afterwards - so there may be a little more to it, but it's definately possible.

Obviously the # doesn't reach any gateways (MGCP or H.323; the prefix is added as the call reaches callmanager using the 'prefix' on Inbound calls on the GW page).

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Interesting, I've never run across anyone that wants to dial that way.

I know of several deployments using * as prefix or for some special internal services DNs, but none using #.

Not sure if that would happen because it's the 1st digit or if that would work if you place # somewhere else.

EDIT: So, what do you use to tell CUCM you finished dialing?

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hi Java

Re: end of dialling digit... you don't have one :-)

AFAIK they either have a nice Cisco dial plan for external (no delay) or they have the interdigit timeout. Internal is all kept non-overlapping.

Safe to say it's not something I'd recommend to anyone - you kind of instinctively know it's a bad idea. This was mandated to the European part of this particular business by their American HO; when we started hitting odd issues and interop problems (Arc console was particularly unhappy) and queried the Americans they basically said 'oh yeah, we haven't actually DONE it yet, we just wrote the corporate standard')... hmm.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!