Helpful
Replies

Help me in finding out Router, Switch, Firewall & IDS Series for Datacenter

Arifuddinkhaja
Level 1
Level 1

Hii All,

Greetings!!!

Iam workin on project for Datacenter. I need ur help in finding me out the exact Router, Switch, Firewall & IDS series based on my attached complete technical specification.

pls find attched tech info for router, switch, firewall & IDS.

Thanku in advance 4 ur kind cooperation & help.

Looking forward 4 ur prompt response.

Brgds

Arif.

3 Replies 3

Kevin Brennan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Arif,

That is a huge document with a large number of requirements. You might be better to consult with a Cisco partner. Are you trying to compare a Cisco solution with a Juniper one by any chance? Large sections of that document look very similar to other documents I've seen...

Also, you don't mention cost, type of services/servers etc.

Your switching could be catered for by a 6500 series.

Your router could be an ASR, or a 7200 with a NPE-G2 at a push.

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

I can't comment about what firewall might suit your needs, but all of the ASA spec sheets are publicly available.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/index.html

HTH

Kevin

Hi kevin,

Thanx a lot 4 ur prompt response. Actualy v r looking 4 da best solution which fits our bill I mean based on our tech specification n cost doesn't matter much, v r just looking 4 best solution. Whats ur opinion based on the tech info provided??

Ur valuable suggestions r welcomed.

Hop 2 hear 4m u soon!!!

Thanks & Warm Regards.

Arif..

Hi Arif,

Cost *always* matters.

My suggestions would still be the same really, but you do need to say what type of services you would be catering for.

Page one of your document is, I think, lifted from the 3800 series router spec sheet, with the exception of 1.2Gbit throughput. I can't choose what router to go for, but your choices are 7200 NPE-G2, ASR or 7600 if budget extends to it. The ISR's won't provide you the throughput you need.

Page two of your document describes a 6500-E series switch pretty much exactely. You'd need a SUP720. Your switchport density will dictate which chassis to go for. (6503/4/6/9) See http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/index.html

Money no problem?, 2 x 6509-E in a VSS pair filled with 67XX line cards.

I've no experience with ASA's and only very limited experience with old PIX's so I can't help you there. I'd suggest having a look at SNORT in addition to other commercial IDS solutions.

It might be better if you go and read through the datasheets, draw up your proposed design and then post that back here where someone might critique it for you.

The other alternative is to engage with a Cisco partner, your spec sheet is detailed and may well result in significent sales for a partner - I'm sure they'd be glad to help you out.

Without being too blunt, is this a study type project?

HTH

Kevin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card