cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is HSRP Layer 3 or Layer 2 and why?

davidhuynh5
Level 1
Level 1

I think it's layer 3 bc of the ip addressing on the SVI. Am I correct or incorrect?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Everything that I've found indicates that it's L3.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Everything that I've found indicates that it's L3.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
I think it's layer 3 bc of the ip addressing on the SVI. Am I correct or incorrect?

What i think HSRP is both layer 3 and layer2 because what it does is the same thing does the ARP and Proxy ARP, But as per the operation If you see w it works on layer 3 and provides a standby IP address for hosts on that network to use as their gateway (or other routers to use as a next-hop for a route). Two or more routers are configured with the standby IP on a broadcast interface (usually an Ethernet of some kind), and a passive election is held to determine the active router.

This router answers ARP requests for the standby IP with a virtual MAC address, so every host that sends packets to the standby IP winds up sending it to the active router. If the active router dies, another election is held, and a new active router is elected who answers for the virtual MAC; the hosts never know anything happened.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: