Views
Helpful
Replies

Clarification about Unity Connections with Lotus

dabellan
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I know this, but I do not understand what kind of integration is necessary between Unity Connection and Lotus Notes.

Unity connection is a Voice Mail solution and it does not integrate with Lotus, the only possible integration is when you configure IMAP, but it does not depend on the mail server (Exchage or Microsot). Isn't it?

Unity is a Unified Messaging solution and in this case it integrate the mail box with Exchange of Lotus. I this case it make sense to chosse between Domino and Exchange. Isn't it?

Can you give me more information?

Thanks

David

4 Replies 4

William Bell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

First, it is a good idea to get a handle on the differences between the various types of messaging Cisco provides in their portfolio.  There is Unified Messaging, Voicemail Only, and Integrated Messaging.  My colleague David Hailey did a write up on UM vs. Integrated Messaging here:

http://www.netcraftsmen.net/resources/blogs/integrated-messaging-vs-unified-messaging.html

Unity Connection throws in a few nifty features that revolve around the concept of relaying messages to foreign message stores.  I did a write up on voicemail only, integrated messaging, and relay functionality with Unity Connection here:

http://www.netcraftsmen.net/resources/blogs/voicemail-only-voicemail-relay-and-integrated-messaging-options-with-unity-connection.html

To answer your questions more directly:

dabellan wrote:

Unity connection is a Voice Mail solution and it does not integrate with Lotus, the only possible integration is when you configure IMAP, but it does not depend on the mail server (Exchage or Microsot). Isn't it?

Unity Connection supports: voicemail only and integrated messaging

As the message store provider, Unity Connection can host IMAP connections from IMAP and IMAP-Idle compliant clients.  Whether it is Lotus Notes, Outlook, CUPC, etc.  Integration guides and testing/resources focus on Outlook and Lotus Notes, but I have pulled e-mail via other IMAP clients.  A key design consideration is whether the client being used can support IMAP-Idle or not.  The basic idea is that IMAP-idle allows a client to subscriber to a mailbox and the server will push to the client.  Versus the opposite model where the client is constantly nagging the server to see if there is a message available.  The latter approach is more resource intensive and, therefore, reduces your overall maximum capacity for IMAP client connections.  By a factor of 4 times.  Outlook supports IMAP-idle.  Lotus Notes does not.  Which means you need to get creative or accept a reduced capacity (for concurrent client connections - key point).

There is a flip side to the coin that some people overlook.  Unity Connection tries to "unify" the experience by reading calendars and e-mail from an external message store.  The idea is that using IMAP from a client like outlook is "unifying" the GUI, but there should be a solution to "unify" the telephone user interface (TUI) as well.  To do this, Unity Connection becomes an IMAP client and retreives e-mail headers from the corporate e-mail message store.  Documentation suggests this is only viable with Exchange.  But I have not tested this myself.  Further, calendar integration (allowing appointments to be announced over TUI) is only supported with Exchange.

dabellan wrote:

Unity is a Unified Messaging solution and in this case it integrate the mail box with Exchange of Lotus. I this case it make sense to chosse between Domino and Exchange. Isn't it?

Unity supports: voicemail only, integrated messaging, unified messaging.  Unity supported integrated messaging because Unity Connection was not conceived at the time the customer demand needed an integrated messaging solution.  I believe that Cisco called it Unified Mailbox or something equally as cute at the time.  Whatever the history, today Unity is Cisco's only Unified Messaging product.  In all of our deployments we only leverage Unity if Unified Messaging is a requirement.  In all other cases, we use Unity Connection.  I believe that this is a trend with several partners.

Up to and including release 7 of Unity, you can integrate with Exchange or Domino.  After release 7, support for Domino is dropped.

I think I covered everything.  If not, I am sure my friend Hailey will let me know.  In either case, he will pipe in I am sure.

HTH.

Regards,
Bill

Please remember to rate helpful posts.

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Hello William,

Thanks for the feedback..I hope my Partner is satisfied with your answer...I'll get in touch with them to relay your message..

Thanks Again..

See you next time

James Hawkins
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

There is actually a special version of Unity Connection that includes Viewmail for Lotus Notes on DVD. This installs on the Notes client and provides VCR style buttons for message playback etc. and also allows playback to be redirected to an IP phone rather than the PC speakers.

Unlike Viewmail for Outlook you cannot download Viewmail for Notes from the Cisco web site so it is important that you order the correct Unity Connection SKU if you need it.

James,

Just wanted to point out that this isn't completely accurate.  You can download Cisco Unity Connection ViewMail for IBM Lotus Notes Version 8.0 directly from CCO.  However, there is still a CUC for Domino SKU that can be ordered directly.

D. Hailey

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: