cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can WLC communicate with Lightweight AP through Layer 3?

hxmengmetro
Level 1
Level 1

We totally have 20 automous access points in several remote sites. We probably expand the current wireless network in the future. Say 50 will be enough. We plan to change these automous AP to lightweight ones. Get the WLC to control them. My question is: Can WLC communicate to lwap through lwapp at layer 3? If so, we only need one WLC sitting at HQ datacenter.

Thanks.

Lou

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

rsreeves1
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, LWAPP (or CAPWAP if you use more recent versions of WLC code) can use Layer 3 for communication between the WLC and APs.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/wireless/controller/6.0/configuration/guide/c60ovrv.html#wp1069102

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

rsreeves1
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, LWAPP (or CAPWAP if you use more recent versions of WLC code) can use Layer 3 for communication between the WLC and APs.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/wireless/controller/6.0/configuration/guide/c60ovrv.html#wp1069102

Thanks. So I just need one WLC for all the LAP in all the remote sites. I can't open that link since it's for partner.

Lou

Yes, we have WLCs installed in our data centers that manage APs at numerous locations around their regions.  As long as there is IP reachability between the WLC and APs, it can work.  There are some small caveats, though.  How do these remote sites connect to the data center?  If there are private point-to-point lines or MPLS tunnels, you shouldn't have a problem.  If they use VPN across a WAN, then I would recommend that you install WLC code version 6.0 or later.  In the previous version (5.2), there's a bug that prevents APs from being able to join the controller in this scenario.  Also, using NAT anywhere between the APs and WLC isn't advisable.  Lastly, there shouldn't be excessive latency between them.  If I recall correctly, they don't tolerate much higher than 80 ms.

We have private p2p link. All the APs don't come back through VPN. The latency is very low. So that should be not a problem. Cool. I'm glad we just need one. This WLC is still expensive these days. I was thinking the price should be just $4k.

Thanks for your help!!!

Lou

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card