cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help setting up or discovering a new router

rick121452
Level 1
Level 1

I just purchased a new cisco 881 integrated service router for my small business.

I'm reasonably computer literate, but this is not my speciality and would appreciate some detailed help.

I've already spent the day perusing every lead through the cisco website and made no progress.

I have tried downloading and running the Cisco Configuration Professional CP software but could not get past go.

I hooked up a cable between my computer and the FE0 port, and a cable from the cable internet modem to the FE Wan port.

The first thing CP wants is the ip, which I set to 10.10.10.1 and the username login, which I set to cisco/cisco.  It would not connect.

I tried pinging 10.10.10.1 from my command prompt and it got no response.  So, I struck out with CP.

I tried hooking up the serial port connection and was able to get some response using hyperterminal.

However, I'm not familiar with the command language or process and the output isn't anything I've seen discussed.

It tells me I can log in one time with cisco/cisco, but must change it.  It leaves me at a username# prompt.

I type the command, as I think it wants it username <name> privilege 15 secret 0 <password>, press enter and it tells me

there is an error.  I've tried pressing Ctrl-Z instead of enter and get the same error.  All other documentation assumes you are at a router# prompt, but I just

can't seem to add a username or get to that point.  My hope is that I could set the IP address and a working name/password so that I could get CP to open up.

Once I can get the GUI opened, I'm also hoping I can import my saved configuration file from a Cisco 871 that appears to have been fried through lightening coming through the cable modem connection.

I appreciate if anyone can offer some step by step guidance to get me going.

Thanks,

Rick

3 Replies 3

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I just purchased a new cisco 881 integrated service router for my small business.

I'm reasonably computer literate, but this is not my speciality and would appreciate some detailed help.

I've already spent the day perusing every lead through the cisco website and made no progress.

I have tried downloading and running the Cisco Configuration Professional CP software but could not get past go.

I hooked up a cable between my computer and the FE0 port, and a cable from the cable internet modem to the FE Wan port.

The first thing CP wants is the ip, which I set to 10.10.10.1 and the username login, which I set to cisco/cisco.  It would not connect.

I tried pinging 10.10.10.1 from my command prompt and it got no response.  So, I struck out with CP.

I tried hooking up the serial port connection and was able to get some response using hyperterminal.

However, I'm not familiar with the command language or process and the output isn't anything I've seen discussed.

It tells me I can log in one time with cisco/cisco, but must change it.  It leaves me at a username# prompt.

I type the command, as I think it wants it username privilege 15 secret 0 , press enter and it tells me

there is an error.  I've tried pressing Ctrl-Z instead of enter and get the same error.  All other documentation assumes you are at a router# prompt, but I just

can't seem to add a username or get to that point.  My hope is that I could set the IP address and a working name/password so that I could get CP to open up.

Once I can get the GUI opened, I'm also hoping I can import my saved configuration file from a Cisco 871 that appears to have been fried through lightening coming through the cable modem connection.

I appreciate if anyone can offer some step by step guidance to get me going.

Thanks,

Rick

Rick,

Check out the below link for step by step configuring cisco 881

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/cvo/880-870-cvo.html

Hope to help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

-I wish it was that simple. I had already looked at that link which says to hook up a cable between the computer and FE0, (and another on the wan setting to the cable modem)  startup the CP, point it to 10.10.10.1 with cisco/cisco and log in.  In my case, CP times out.

Any other suggestions please.

Thanks.

Rick

Hi Rick,

That posting by Ganesh is relevant, but if it didn't work for you and If you are not getting a IP address or cannot ping the router, what about trying the following;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/800/860-880-890/hardware/installation/guide/4InitialConfig880-860.html

I seem to recall something like this happening to me before, and it involved typing no shutdown against a interface.

But give this link  a try it is the installation guide for the 881 and has a method to get the unit up and running  via the console port.

If that fails, hey you just bought the box, so you should be able to get free warranty support via the distributor or secondly via  Cisco technical assistance center (TAC).

regards Dave

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: