We are configuring the below event manager config on the cisco router

event manager session cli username "<name>"
event manager applet XYZ
event track 1 state down
action 1.1 cli command "enable"
action 1.2 cli command "config t"
action 1.3 cli command "interface <>"
action 1.4 cli command "no ip access list"

where in we are tracking the peering serial IP and if the peering goes down the below set of comands configured in EEM must be run.

The configured applet is running but its giving the below error messges when we do debug

==========================================================================

Jun 24 11:10:28.217: fh_server: fh_io_msg: received msg FH_MSG_CALLBACK_DONE from client 2 pclient 1
Jun 24 11:10:28.217: fh_io_msg: EEM callback policy XYZ has ended with abnormal exit status of 0xFFFFFFFF
Jun 24 11:10:28.217: EEM policy XYZ has exceeded it's elapsed time limit of 20.0 seconds
Jun 24 11:10:28.217: fh_schedule_callback: fh_schedule_callback: cc=64ADA6E8 prev_epc=643C2FE4; epc=0
Jun 24 11:10:28.217: fh_schedule_policy: prev_epc=0x00000000; epc=0x00000000
Jun 24 11:10:28.217: fh_server: fh_io_msg: received msg FH_MSG_API_CLOSE from client 2 pclient 1
Jun 24 11:10:28.217: fh_io_msg: received FH_MSG_API_CLOSE client=2

=========================================================================

Actually the EEM policy is entering in config mode after that we have the below error

EEM policy XYZ has exceeded it's elapsed time limit of 20.0 seconds :-----------------> ******

Kindly Sugest,

Regards,

Ranjit

7 Replies 7

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What are you trying to accomplish?

action 1.4 cli command  "no ip access list"

Action 1.4 isn't a valid command under an interface. It would be "no ip access-group". Also, I don't believe you're going to need action 1.2 cli command "config t".

Try removing action 1.2, and depending on what you're wanting to do, change action 1.4 to "no ip access-group "

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Hi,

Thanks for your reply

Actually yes Action 1.4 should be and it is "no ip access-group" it was a typing mistake by me on this forum.

We are configuring Embedded Event Manager (EEM) which works as below

It will track the peering IP if the link goes down the peering IP will stop pinging and the steps in the action 1.1 will be executed.......

If we remove action 1.2 config t, then the access-list which we have applied on a particular interface cannot be removed.....

Also please update me do we have to create a username for EEM to run the commands specified .....

like event manager session cli username "< >"

Please update

Regards,

Ranjit

Also a very important thing is that the EEM script is running but getting timeout and we are getting the following error

EEM policy XYZ has exceeded it's elapsed time limit of 20.0 seconds

can we increase the maxrun of EEM as its default is 20 sec...........

please update

=====================================================================================

router#show event manager policy registered
No.  Class   Type    Event Type          Trap  Time Registered           Name
1    applet  user    track               Off   Fri Jun 25 11:51:38 2010        XYZ
track 1 state down
maxrun 20.000   <<<<<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------******************
action 1.4 cli command "no ip access-group <> in"

2    applet  user    track               Off   Fri Jun 25 11:52:10 2010   XYZ_1
track 1 state up
maxrun 20.000 <<<<<------------------------------------------------------------------------------------********************
action 1.4 cli command "ip access-group <> in"

===================================================================================

Regards,

Ranjit

Dear All,

Anybody on the forum Using EEM config????

Regards,

Ranjit

Ranjit,

What is the IOS version you are running?. I tried the configuration and it works fine as expcted. (Tried with Ethernet subintf and a local shut).

Also try increasing the maxrun and see if tht solves the issue,

"event track 1 maxrun <> state down"

Regards,

Nagendra

Hi!,

We are using 1841 routers with c1841-advsecurityk9-mz.124-11.T4.bin IOS.

Have also increased the Maxrun but with no luck.

Regards,

Ranjit

Hi all,

Actually, I was facing the same problem and getting the same error messages. But in my case, I was sending mail from the router, when any BGP peer goes down.

After I increased the maxrun command, everything was going fine. But this was because, there was a big content in the mail body and the default time limit (20 seconds) was not enough for the policy to be finished.

But in your case, it is just removing the access list from the interface which doesn't need all that time.

Amr M. el Adel CCIE-RS
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card