Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Video Media Server crashes frequently!

Hi guys,

I have a video media server CIVS-MSP-1RU (VSMS/VSOM 6.2.1/4.2.1, SuSE 10 SP1) that keeps crashing (system freezes, no ping, no keyboard; only a manual reset brings it back!). There are 12 cameras (2520/2530 ip domes firmware 2.1.2) added to the system.

I haven't found anything relevant in the logs.

Have you ever run into this problem before?

Thanks.

Cristian

6 Replies 6

Hi Cristi,

We encounter the same issue some time ago at one of our clients and after working with TAC for a while we decided to RMA the MSP. With the new one we didn't have any issues. Is this a native 6.2.1/4.2.1 or an upgrade?

Regards,

Alex.

PS. Dacă vrei mă poți contacta și direct la alex.zamfir@probitas.ro

Hi Alex,

we made the RMA a few weeks ago and now we're waiting for the new  server.

the system was sent with a 6.2.0/4.2.0 installed, i  updated it to 6.2.1/4.2.1 but still the same problems. then i  reinstalled it from scratch using the rescue cd but no luck either.

hope the new server will do the job .

Thanks.

Cristian

PS. Multumesc de email.

slaanoi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Cristian,

Sorry to hear about that. When was the last time the server crashed? How often would you say this happens? What is the output of your dmesg and messages log?

shell# dmesg > dmesg.log

shell# egrep -i "error" /var/log/messages

--

Shadrack

Hi,

it crashed unexpectedly (once or twice or third times a day). I don't  have the outputs anymore but there were no errors in the logs.

Thanks.

Cristian

I've had that happen on a couple systems.  One was a brand new 4RU server, exact same symptoms you described.  RMAd the server and never looked back.

An additional symptom is that if you get on the console (if you can) and restart the cisco services, it will echo a bunch of errors about the disk volumes and/or files being read only.

I had the same problem occur on one of the older 1RU systems that had been in production for some time.  In that case, one of the drives in the RAID 5 array died.  Even though the system appeared to be operational (as it should be) with the failed drive, it exhibited these symptoms.  Once the bad drive was replaced and the array rebuilt, the problems continued.  I blew away the RAID volumes and reloaded the system from scratch to resolve the issue.

Good luck.

Vance

Hi Vance,

thanks for the infos.

Cristian

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: