cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Syslog Message...

Thomas_2004
Level 1
Level 1

In my Syslog I keep seeing this critical message "Deny IP due to Land Attack from X.X.X.X to X.X.X.X." Should I be concerned? Other than filtering it in Syslog, is there any other measures I can to get rid of that? Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Magnus Mortensen
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Thomas,

So those messages do not directly indicate a problem, but may still be worth investigating. Is the IP address referenced in the syslog message one of your global address in a 'global' or 'static' config line? If so, it very well may be that a host on the inside is trying to communicate to its own external address:

nat (inside) 1 10.0.0.0 255.0.0.0

global (outside) 1 1.2.3.4

If a host on the inside tries to connect to 1.2.3.4, the packet as it leaves the firewall would look like it is coming from/going to 1.2.3.4 (which would be a land attack).

One way you can track this would be to setup a capture on the inside interface for this traffic:

8.0.4 code and later:

cap inside interfcae inside match ip any host 1.2.3.4

Earlier code:

access-list cap-list permit ip any host 1.2.3.4

cap inside interface inside access-list cap-list

When you see the error pop-up look at the captures:

show capture inside

I hope this helps. If this resolves your issue, please mark this question as resolved.

-Magnus

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Magnus Mortensen
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Thomas,

So those messages do not directly indicate a problem, but may still be worth investigating. Is the IP address referenced in the syslog message one of your global address in a 'global' or 'static' config line? If so, it very well may be that a host on the inside is trying to communicate to its own external address:

nat (inside) 1 10.0.0.0 255.0.0.0

global (outside) 1 1.2.3.4

If a host on the inside tries to connect to 1.2.3.4, the packet as it leaves the firewall would look like it is coming from/going to 1.2.3.4 (which would be a land attack).

One way you can track this would be to setup a capture on the inside interface for this traffic:

8.0.4 code and later:

cap inside interfcae inside match ip any host 1.2.3.4

Earlier code:

access-list cap-list permit ip any host 1.2.3.4

cap inside interface inside access-list cap-list

When you see the error pop-up look at the captures:

show capture inside

I hope this helps. If this resolves your issue, please mark this question as resolved.

-Magnus

I just checked the Syslog again and both source and destination IP addresses are public IP's.

Thomas,

Are the public IPs ones that you have host translating to?

-M

Yes they are.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card