cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

whats the best way to limit bandwidth

w951duu
Level 1
Level 1

We have a client who is paying for only 300mbps bandwidth, however they exceed that limitation by quite a bit as they are on a gig interface (layer3, we bgp peer with this client).  Whats the best way to keep them under the 300mpbs limit?  I was thinking a QOS policy map, but what would that look like.

Thanks

7 Replies 7

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Your guess is correct - you need QoS.

I recommend configuring a shaper for the egress traffic. What hardware do you have at hand?

Regards,

Edison

Yeah I was thinking of the srr-queue bandwidth limit command, but can't configure the port for that for some reason, it's a 6506 with a 24 port sfp gig card running 12.2.18 code.

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Gregory,

depending on the device and what type of GE port is you can use shaping or policing.

shaping should be preferred if available because it is less aggressive (exceeding packets are buffered not dropped) but it is supported only in outbound direction.

Policing can be applied inbound or outbound

a simple shape-all policy-map looks like

policy-map shape_all_300Mbps

class class-default

shape 300000000

int gix/y

service-policy output shape_all_300Mbps

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/qos/configuration/guide/reg_pkt_flow_per_cls_ps6441_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/qos/command/reference/qos_s1.html#wp1074988

Edit:

unfortunately on an ethernet linecard of a C6500 you cannot do shaping you would need a SIP 400 with a 5GE SPA to do that. or an ES 20 or better linecard.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

The srr-queue bandwidth limit won't work on a 6506 (12.2.18) will it?

Yes, it should work

Actually I tried the following:

policy-map shape_all_400Mbps

shape peak 40000000

int g2/5

service-policy output shape_all_400mpbps

but I got an error message when I tried to apply it on the the interface:

MQC features are not supported in output direction for this interface

Any thoughts

You are facing a hardware limitation. The command is available in the 6500 as you can configure this feature if you had a SIP/SPA module.

You can't do egress shaping with regular line cards.

Regards,

Edison

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card