cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Port Security duplicate MAC address error

a17j13j05
Level 1
Level 1

I have searched the web and seen other posts regarding this issue but haven't found a solution or explanation to this problem....

Here is my situation:

I have multiple switches and multiple VLAN's throughout my facility that I need to implement Port Security on.

My desktop support team have Fluke network testers they use on a regular basis and are heavily reliant upon.

I am attempting to configure each port with STICKY port security so that it grabs the MAC address of the currently connected device and I am trying to add the addresses of the Fluke devices so the desktop support team can still use the Flukes.

Th first port in a specific VLAN works fine when I drop the config onto it. The second port in that same VLAN however gives me the following error:

Found duplicate mac-address xxxx.xxxx.xxxx

Here is what my interface config looks like:

switchport access vlan XXX
switchport mode access
switchport port-security
switchport port-security maximum 5
switchport port-security mac-address sticky
switchport port-security mac-address sticky xxxx.xxxx.xxxx

Am I missing something here, or is this just an impossiblity?

Thanks

2 Replies 2

Hitesh Vinzoda
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

When you apply the port security command to a port and it learnes mac address via sticky or statically, it adds it in mac address table using static entry. so if you apply the same mac address on other interfaces, it will throw an error reporting duplicate mac address,

So you can not have same mac address configured statically or via sticky on two different ports.

HTH

Hitesh Vinzoda

Pls rate useful posts

Hi,

I am having the same issue. Do you any resolution to this problem. How would I stick same MAC address on two ports that are in the same VLAN. I am using 3750 and tried MAC-ACLs as well but it didn't work. Can VLAN map help me in this regard? or any other solution.

Regards,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card