cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Maximum length for a http url?

kyle.heath
Level 1
Level 1

I have a website that I cannot access via any of the Cisco 877 routers I have installed, 10 in total.  When I try to access this url

http://learning.learndirect.co.uk/player/content.action?context=PIz%2B1AAbkBr9oZ06cNz0G04o8ezRdU056DCQxwQcpRckuE2u3egpOibxJHUnDFsp9pzCHXE2BNa2%0AR1kvHvXxkHJzoZ2GoCzlTktahp4vim2NChDG7Qs4Th3rlAEs87tNDk84t%2BmL1CMHLsosVW5jilJ1%0AkfL57d4wzADx1pjWjyvfemq5...

The page does not display after a period of about 3 minutes waiting for the browser to retry.  The question is, is there a maximum length on a url that Cisco implement in the Advanced Security IOS for this model?

I have tried the url on a Cisco 1841 and it works fine with a very similar config.

Im sorry if this isnt the right place for this post, please redirect me if there is a better forum for this!

Thanks

Kyle

5 Replies 5

This problem might be related with mtu maybe or mss. from the 800 routers... does the traffic pass a GRE tunnel?

It doesnt no, but I do have an IPSEC tunnel to another 877 at a remote site.  I set the mss on the ATM0.1 interface to 1300 on a ADSL2 circuit, this has improved the IPSEC tunnel significantly in terms of fragmentation.

I will try upping the mss back to 1452 again and test.  Thanks

I have just tested further and the issue seems to only fail from Windows XP, I have tested from a Windows 2008 Server and this is successful.  I have changed the command on the ATM0.1 interface to

no ip tcp adjust-mss 1300

and the issue still occurs.  Its really making me think this one as the site is a government website and worked for my customer for months until last thursday so I can only think that something changed at the website level or hosting otherwise it wouldnt have worked before.

Go ahead and do a debug for ICMP .. If you see this messange

ICMP: dst (x.x.x.x) frag. needed and DF set 
unreachable sent to x.x.x.x  this is a fragmentation issue.

Thanks, I will try that tomorrow.  I just can't work out why it works on Windows 2008 and not Windows XP behind the same router.

--

Kyle Heath

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: