Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Nexus vs 6500

dtran
Level 6
Level 6

Hi all,

I am currently running a single 6509 at the data center and I am looking into upgrading. I am debating whether I should continue with the 6500 platform or move to the Nexus platform. I would like to be able to support 10Gig with the new platform. Also currently my SAN environment is on a separate network and there is also a growing inititives with virtualization in the future, so I also would like to be able to have the foundation to support future inititives and the SAN environment (may be merging the SAN environment in the future). I am reaching out to see what people are doing out there in the Data Center space, I appreciate any inputs / suggestions !!!

Thanks in advance !!!

D.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

Hi:

The Cisco Nexus series of Data Center switches are specifically designed and architected for the data center of the future, which will involve the unification of data and storage fabrics (iSCSI or FCoE), I/O consolidation using 10G (40 and 100G are around the corner), VN-Link, SR-IOV, NPIV (this is part of the storage virtualization you mention), CEE and other data center virtualization technologies and enhancements.

The Nexus can also be part of a larger ecosystem that includes Cisco fabric extenders, like the 2100, which can be leveraged instead of ToR switches, as well as EoR switches for inter-rack routing and services positioning, such as SSL offloading, firewalling, load balancing, etc. Take note that the Nexus switches do not support chassis EDIT service EDIT modules, so you will need separate appliances.

So, I would say that the deployment of a Nexus implies much more than just a simple switch upgrade; it is part of a wholistic data center solution that reflects a roadmap for the next 5 years at least.

HTH

Victor

View solution in original post

"Are you referring to the service modules ? Currently I do have two  FWSMs running in the 6509, so these modules won't work with Nexus ?"

Yes. I am referring to modules like the FWSM or CSM, etc. You would need separate appliances.

Glad to help.

Victor

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

Hi:

The Cisco Nexus series of Data Center switches are specifically designed and architected for the data center of the future, which will involve the unification of data and storage fabrics (iSCSI or FCoE), I/O consolidation using 10G (40 and 100G are around the corner), VN-Link, SR-IOV, NPIV (this is part of the storage virtualization you mention), CEE and other data center virtualization technologies and enhancements.

The Nexus can also be part of a larger ecosystem that includes Cisco fabric extenders, like the 2100, which can be leveraged instead of ToR switches, as well as EoR switches for inter-rack routing and services positioning, such as SSL offloading, firewalling, load balancing, etc. Take note that the Nexus switches do not support chassis EDIT service EDIT modules, so you will need separate appliances.

So, I would say that the deployment of a Nexus implies much more than just a simple switch upgrade; it is part of a wholistic data center solution that reflects a roadmap for the next 5 years at least.

HTH

Victor

dtran
Level 6
Level 6

Hi Victor !! I appreciate your response !!!

I am leaning toward the Nexus at the moment but I just want to make sure I've done my homework before making the final decision.

Question:

You mentioned the Nexus does not support chassis switched modules. Are you referring to the service modules ? Currently I do have two FWSMs running in the 6509, so these modules won't work with Nexus ?

Thank you very much !!!

D.

"Are you referring to the service modules ? Currently I do have two  FWSMs running in the 6509, so these modules won't work with Nexus ?"

Yes. I am referring to modules like the FWSM or CSM, etc. You would need separate appliances.

Glad to help.

Victor

Thanks Victor !!! Appreciate your help !!

D.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card