Views
Helpful
Replies

Provide Internet resilience

Communications
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have one ISP (with ADSL Backup) which provides a 10MB ethernet connection, I would like to provide router resilience , I was thinking of connecting a switch to the ISP connection and then connecting each of the 2 routers to the switch and run HSRP for the clients on the LAN. The question I have is what is the best way of ensuring that the returning traffic hits the correct router?, Is there a better/different way of making this work?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Communications,

you should attach the ethernet connection to R1 only and you should move the ADSL backup to R2

the lan switch can be used to connect both routers to the internal Vlan(s)

on the internal LAN you can implement HSRP and you can use some form of object tracking to check the correct operation of primary link

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Communications,

you should attach the ethernet connection to R1 only and you should move the ADSL backup to R2

the lan switch can be used to connect both routers to the internal Vlan(s)

on the internal LAN you can implement HSRP and you can use some form of object tracking to check the correct operation of primary link

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe,

Thanks for responding I will give that a go.

Regards Mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card