cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I configure MHSRP & Etherchannel together?

ganesh_palav
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

We've upcoming project for our new client. The setup involved just two Cisco 3650G switches, the requirement is to stack them. But it doesn't support Cisco's stack wise technology as 3750 does. I've gone through the Cisco documents & found that if we use MHSRP we can cluster them & do the load balancing between clusters. Etherchannel also does load balancing between multiple redundant links right? My query is can we use MHSRP along with etherchannel?

Also it would be great if you could help me with my requirement of stacking of two 3650 switches.

Thanks in advance!!

Ganesh Palav

5 Replies 5

Hitesh Vinzoda
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I didnt understand what exactly you want to do... What i see here is MHSRP is a first hop redundancy protocol and Etherchannel is used for link redundancy, high bandwidth link and load balancing traffic.what is the problem here..??

HTH

Hitesh Vinzoda

Pls rate useful posts

Thanks Hitesh!

I was just confirming whether we can run these protocols all together.

Do you have any idea of stacking of 3560 Switches?

Thanks!

Ganesh

Hi,

I don't think that 3560 supports stacking..

Go through this Q&A for more info

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps5528/prod_qas09186a00801f3d71.html

HTH

Pls rate useful posts

Thanks Hitesh for the document.

Ganesh

Ganesh

MHSRP is for providing redundancy at layer 3 and requires layer 3 interfaces (interfaces with IP configured). Etherchannel is for providing redundancy at layer 2 and requires layer 2 interfaces (on which IP can not be configured).

As far as I know they can both be run but since they each solve a different kind of problem I do not understand why you are interested in both of them. It seems to me that you want one or the other, depending on what you are really trying to accomplish.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card