cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need help recovering username/password on an 831 router

HappyBeaver
Level 1
Level 1

I can't log into my router because I forgot my username and password. I'm using Telnet in Windows Vista. I hit the "o" key then I typ in the IP address. It ask for my username then password but I forgot it. Resetting the router and hitting the break key isn't going to work because I can't get into the router at all. Is there some other way I can reset my username and password.

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

In order to recover your password, you have to be physical at the router and use a console cable to do the password recovery.  It can not be done using telnet.

HTH

Reza

Re-read my post, I stated I was using telnet.

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
I can't log into my router because I forgot my username and password.
I'm using Telnet in Windows Vista. I hit the "o" key then I typ in the
IP address. It ask for my username then password but I forgot it.
Resetting the router and hitting the break key isn't going to work
because I can't get into the router at all. Is there some other way I
can reset my username and password.

Check out the below link for password recovery in cisco 800 series:-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/products_password_recovery09186a00800942bc.shtml

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

None of that is going to work because I can't get into the router at all. To be able to do everything in that link I would have to have the router prompt in telnet. To get that prompt I would have to enter my username and password in telnet which I can't because I forgot both of them.

You do "not" use telnet to do a password recovery.  You use a terminal emulator like Tera Term  set at 9600,8,n,1  to  get into the "console" port on the router to do the password recovery , it has nothing to do with telnetting into the box to  recover the password... Please follow the directions in Ganesh's link , thats the only way you are going to recover the password .

Thanks for your help. I forgot that Telnet doesn't use the console port. I ended up using PuTTy and I found my username and password. Haven't had to use a terminal emulation program in a long time so it just slipped my mind. Again thanks for your help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: