cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 2948G Help

daveenglish
Level 1
Level 1

I am new to Cisco switches and I have purchased a Catalyst 2948G (WS-C2948G used on Ebay and while trying to download documentation on it from Cisco I am finding Catalyst 2948G-GE, 2948G-TX, 2948G-L3. How do I know which one I have? There is no image loaded to it so I don't know if it is a router or just a switch. When I remote to it all I get is rommon. Any help would be appreciated.

8 Replies 8

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
I am new to Cisco switches and I have purchased a Catalyst 2948G
(WS-C2948G used on Ebay and while trying to download documentation on
it from Cisco I am finding Catalyst 2948G-GE, 2948G-TX, 2948G-L3. How
do I know which one I have? There is no image loaded to it so I don't
know if it is a router or just a switch. When I remote to it all I get
is rommon. Any help would be appreciated.

Check out the below cisco 2948G-GE-TX seires image from front panel:-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps606/products_data_sheet09186a00801cfafe.html

Check out the below link for recovering from rommon mode for 2948 switches

http://cisco.biz/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2948gand4908g/12.0_10_w5_18e/configuration/guide/init_cfg.html

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

Thanks for your reply. It does not look like the

GE-TX in the example you provided, and I already have downloaded the configuration documnet but I don't get the login to start the configuration because no image is installed. So I am trying to figure out which image should be installed? Thanks for your help. Dave

You need to read the 2nd link Reza's posted:

Check out the below link for recovering from rommon mode for 2948 switches
http://cisco.biz/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2948gand4908g/12.0_10_w5_18e/configuration/guide/init_cfg.html#wp1028303

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Dave,

Since it boots to rommon that means the device does not have any image on it.  If you want to use it as a layer-2 switch just download the image for 2948G-GE but if you want to use it as a layer-2 and layer-3 device then download 2948G-L3.  You need a CCO account to be able to download an image.

HTH

Reza

Hello, Thanks for your reply. So if I am understanding your reply, I can

either download a router image, or a switch image? How do I know if the router hard

ware is installed? I received another reply stating my model is a sw

itch only? Thanks, Dave

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Somewhere on the switch there is usually a sticker saying what the exact model it is . If its the exact model you say it is then its a layer 2 switch only that only runs  catos , not IOS and is not convertible .It has no layer 3 functions.  The 2948G runs the catos 4000 image .  The unit has been EOL since 2008 and the last image they made for that is  cat4000-k8.8-4-11-GLX.bin . 

Hi, Thanks for your reply. Yes the model from the sticker is

WS-C2948G. Another reply said I could download either a switch image or a router image. Not sure if that is true? The store I purchased it from is supposed to help but I was trying to get it done sooner. Thanks for the reply. Dave

daveenglish
Level 1
Level 1

I contacted the place of purchase and they are going to help me install an image, so I will wait for that to happen. Thanks for the help,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: