Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco WRVS4400N with my own DHCP server don’t work

adminti
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I try to use the WRVS4400N with my own DHCP server (DHCP disabled or DHCP relay), but it isn’t working.  I tried all the possibilities, Gateway, Router, RIP disabled or enabled, nothing, the wireless client can’t contact the DHCP server.

Can this be a firewall issue (ASA 5510 with IPS)?

Everything works fine with the WRVS4400N as a DHCP server, but I don’t want this configuration.

Regards,

F

11 Replies 11

davebwieagle1
Level 1
Level 1

wow, I wish someone would answer this

post... I have the EXACT SAME PROBLEM.... very disapointed!

David Carr
Level 6
Level 6

Hello sir, sorry for the late reply.  You stated that you cannot get dhcp from your wrvs4400n.  I have some questions for you concerning your wrvs4400n. 

Is it a version 2 of the device?

Do you have vlans created on the device?

If so are your ssid on a different vlan other than the default lan?

Any information about your setup will be very appreciated.  Thank You.

Hello , Thanks for the Reply

I do have version 2 router with latest??.08 firmware.

I do not have any Vlan setup... just trying to get it to basic operation with DHCP Disabled... will not work...

In the hundreds of posts I have read, I cannot find anyone that has gotten internet acces with DHCP disabled...  my windows server 2008 R2 handles DHCP... my old router workes fine in this config...

was this tested by Cisco?

When your hard wired to the router do you get an DHCP address from your server?

Are there switches in the mix in between the router and the server?

If so, can you eliminate the switches and test the server being directly connected to the router and see if wireless devices get an Ip address.

hello, The DHCP Server is working... all

remote computers.. hardwired and wireless get an IP address... the server is directly t

o the back of the router.. no switches involved... I t looks like everything is correct

gateway is correct BUT will not go out the Router gateway to the

Internet... other info, I can get to the router 192.168.4.1

...but it is VERY slow takes a long time to get page updates from the router

Yeah that is very strange, unless the ip address of the router is being compromised on the network and their is a conflict it should be working.  As long as you have the dhcp pool set to point to the routers private ip address as the gateway.  How about isolating the server, one pc and the router with internet connectivity and seeing if it will go out.  I have tested this in my lab with vlans and dhcp relay and multiple subnets and it has worked just fine.  How far can you ping with a pc that has received a dhcp address?  It could be a dns issue not resolving.

Ok, I will try again ..BUT I can confirm that

the router does work if it is the DHCP SERVER.... Its like even though the checkbox is set to disable the DHCP SERVER in the router, it isnt really disabling it all the way??

So your saying if you turn off DHCP  on the router it still gives out an address?

If that is the case, we would need to backup your configurations and reflash the firmware and reset the device afterward.  The reload the configuration back into the wrvs4400n and see if that fixes the issue.

No it doesnt actually give them out ... that

was my take on how it seems to fight with you accessing its own pages....very slow...

Ok, i have an idea.  What happens if you have a static ip address on a pc?

When you try this, see if logging into the router is the same speed.  We could be troubleshooting a different issue in your network.  Let me know how this goes.

torstenmontag
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I have a similar, or the same problem.

I configured the 4400 V2 as dhcp relay, it relays DHCP messages from incomind WLAN clients, but forwards it with it's private LAN IP (192.168.1.1) which the routed network behind can't route back to.

What to do about this ? Didn't find a setting to configure the DHCP relay differently.

-t

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: